Sign in to follow this  
Guest cconnelly1

Should we help pay for insurance?

Guest cconnelly1   
Guest cconnelly1

Hi there. I am pretty new to these boards. I was wondering if you could help me with where to post this question.

Our GC is 3 months pregnant with our baby and I think she is somewhat active on these types of Web sites. I have a touchy question and I'm not sure I want to post it where she might see it. I want to know from other IP's how they would handle this situation. When I looked at other boards, other GCs seemed to answer most of the questions. Is there a board where mostly IPs answer questions?

Our GC (who is great by the way) has insurance under her husband's job, which will be ending in February/March. The due date is the end of July. Basically, voluntarily, the husband is leaving the job to pursue more education and a different career. (A health issue-aside from other considerations- makes it not a good idea to continue in the same occupation). This is something they have been planning on him doing for some time. However, they thought they would be done having our baby by the time this occurred. It took until the 3rd attempt at embryo transfer, til we achieved pregnancy. So in a sense, it is because they stuck with us, and tried 3 times, that more time passed by and why the pregnancy coincided with their plan for the husband to leave his job and thus lose the insurance coverage for our GC.

Our GC will have to either 1)pay for very expensive continuation of coverage plan for her only, which is almost double what they have been paying; or 2) find a new plan to cover just her (her husband has coverage through other means), but which will probably exclude her pregnancy as a pre-existing condition and not cover any of those costs. Our GC has said that after researching the issue she is going to go with the contination of coverage plan. (BTW our GC is pretty savvy about these things and if this is the choice she's making I'm sure there's no cheaper or smarter way to go about it).

Contractually, our lawyer has told us we are not responsible for paying the cost of the insurance, since they voluntarily ended the husband's employment and it is not our fault that our GC is now not covered. However, if she were not pregnant with our baby, she could just get a new plan for less $$ and the pre-existing condition stuff would not bother her. It is only because she needs pregnancy coverage, that she is forced to pay for the more $$ plan.

So my question is: should we help with the cost of the insurance that she must purchase in order to get pregnancy coverage?

I realize we're not obligated contractually, but I feel responsible since they stuck with us so long. Also, they probably did tell us about this plan of theirs and that it might affect their insurance coverage, but at the time she thought it wouldn't be too $$ to do the continuation of coverage, and we weren't that concerned about it. She didn't realize it would be so much $$.

Sorry for that long-winded question but I wanted you to have the background. How can I find out what other IPs think? And what do you think? Thank you so much for any help!

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
Kathleen55    3

First, congratulations on the pregnancy!!

Second, this is a public board so everyone can read all the posts. If you are looking for a private IP board or list I would suggest google or yahoo and see what you can find.

As far as the insurance I hope you can work something out between all of you to do what is best for all involved. It sounds like your surrogate has done extensive research on the best policy available. Many policies have a waiting period for pg but I would double check if its viewed as a pre-existing condition with 6 months left. Good luck!!