Sign in to follow this  
kc91677

Question about fees

kc91677    0

I noticed in another post you mentioned life insurance. What would be the purpose of having that paid for you? My husband and I already have life insurance, would we need more?

Also, we are going to be GS for my DH's cousin and his wife this spring. We are just starting out on all the details. They will pay for medical bills and legal fees. What other fees are there (We are not charging them a monthly fee or any other fee like that of any kind). Are there other fees we need to be aware of?

The attorney will draw up the contract. Any other issues we need to have the attorney deal with?

One last question (I know I have lots!), both my and her health insurance does not cover surrogacy at all. Will my health insurance still cover me for other things or do I have to purchase an entirely seperate policy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!

Most surros ask for a life insurance policy to be paid for by the IP's in case something were to happen to the surro while cycling, pregnant, etc. It's a completely personal issue and if you already have adequant insurance in place and don't feel as though you need more than you can certainly skip that part in your contract.

The fees that you need to be aware of, if you are doing this for no compensation, would be anything out of your pocket. You should not be out of pocket for anything. They should still cover your lost wages if you have to miss work for an appointment, they should cover all medical expenses including copayments, costs of medications, they should provide you with a maternity clothes allowance, reimburse you for child care expenses for your own kids if you have to leave them with a sitter for appointments.....basically you should not be out of pocket for anything.

You should each have separate attornies. One should draw up the contract and represent the IP's and one should be retained to look over the contract for you and to represent your interests. That should all be paid for by the IP's. Most important issues would be who will pay for your expenses should something happen to the IP's while you are still pregnant and God forbid both parents pass away before the baby is born, they need to appoint a guardian for the child who will take custody and responsibility. You need to spell out what your positions are on things such as selective reduction and abortion, testing that you will or will not permit (such as amnio, CVS, etc). If you have an experienced surrogacy attorney that you're working with s/he will be able to guide you there.

As for your health insurance, I would have the attorney look over the exclusions. My health insurance carrier will not cover services if I needed to use a surrogate, but covered me for my pregnancy as the surrogate mother. When in doubt, have the attorney look at that part of it too. There are some policies out there that can be purchased but they are VERY costly so you'd have to do some research to find out what the best bet for your situation would be. Good luck!