Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mama-C

GD, finger sticks and life changes

Mama-C    54

After 'miserably' failing the non-fasting 1 hour GTT (29 points over!), I was scheduled for the 3 hour. It coincided with my regular midwife visit, and I was told that per the guidelines I could fail 1 of the 4 blood draws and still pass, and that 'most people do'.

So a couple of days later I Emailed to inquire about status of the results. Was told that one number was 'borderline', so it was out to the OB for review/comment. Because of the previous visit's indication that one FAIL would still mean passing the test, I did not worry about it; thinking I had certainly passed.

But no...

Got a call Thursday afternoon from the nurse saying I was borderline actually on 2 of the tests (one was slightly above and one slightly below the required number) and so would need to start the GD diet and finger-sticks 4x/day. I bawled my eyeballs out. In car line to pick up kids from school. And on the way home. and after I got home. And when I was standing in line at CVS to pick up the glucometer and test strips. And again about a thousand times since then.

Though I understand how GD works and that it's not due to poor eating habits or other failure on my part... I still feel like I failed. And it's inconvenient and sometimes painful (both literally... poor little fingertips; and figuratively... My family of 6 includes 3 teens and nobody wants to eat the same diet I'm on).

Still winding my way through all the info and recommendations. Sought out and contacted a dietician/nutritionist Thursday evening and completed the 11-page eating/exercise/lifestyle document, returning it to her so she can review prior to consultation on Tuesday. Hoping for some help with meal-planning and food combinations that will keep blood sugars well in check. Happy, I guess, that I'll have a 6-day diet and blood sugar check log to share with her, so she can see how my body reacts to different foods at different times of the day.

Started finger stick testing Thurs evening as well, and even without really knowing a thing about the GD diet, all numbers have been within normal range (except one - which, as I later read on a diabetes website could have been from now washing hands immediately before testing... I was picking fruits/veggies from the garden, and any sugars on my hands could've changed the result. I washed and re-tested about 20 mins later, after reading that, and was again within limits - so not sure if it was the extra 20 mins or the hand-washing that did the trick).

Anyway, tomorrow is Easter. I've had a bear of a time shopping for kids' baskets. I feel so *punished* not being able to really enjoy holiday peeps or chocolates or whatever. And even the special meals I had planned for the special day (cinnamon buns for b'fast; a bunny cake for dessert after dinner) is problematic. We typically eat very healthily, but I am very frustrated with the concept of eating differently than everyone else and 'missing out' on holiday (and upcoming birthday!) treats and things.

And then I feel guilty because I know if there's even a hint of a chance of GD, my first concern should be doing whatever is necessary to have a healthy remainder of pregnancy and BABY! I guess I'm just mourning the *norm* of eating when I'm hungry (rather than on a schedule) and eating what I want whenever I want it. Pregnancy is, frankly, hard enough as it is... and I just want bunny cake. :(

Ah well... off for a walk (30-90 minutes after a meal is best for reducing blood sugars from that meal, as I've learned). Hope everyone has a great weekend and happy Easter!

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
Katie520327    2
:sorry: I am sorry, that totally sucks. I have had GD with my first pregnancy and it is no picnic. Oddly enough, I never did have it with my second. Though, my doctor still had me sticking my finger 4 times a day with him as well "just to be sure". I even plan to keep my diet in check during this entire surro pregnancy just in case. Fortunately, this is only temporary. As soon as that baby is born you should be able to eat normally again. It sounds like you are doing everything you are supposed to do and I wish you all the best! I am sure you will still achieve the outcome of a healthy baby as long as you take care of yourself and them. :bighug:

mama_moon    22

:grouphug2:

I don't have experience with GD but I did go gluten, dairy, and sugar free for about 6 months. It's tough when the things you really enjoy are not "allowed" anymore but people around you are still eating them.

Maybe your family can compromise and eat what you eat a couple times a week at family meal times?

jennieb1    26

Hey Donna: that just plain sucks. I know nothing about GD. I didnt have it with my 1. PregnAncy and i never bothered to research it. If it makes you feel better im drinking protein shakes ....just because ....no real reason...not my choice. But i do drink them when i am in traing for a marathon or a lot of back to back runs. Anywho, have a great easter.....i feel bad for you

Mama-C    54

Thank you, sweet ladies, for your support and comments. Even without the benefit of a nutritional consultation, my finger stick numbers have all be well within limits. Hoping the finger stick program can stop after a couple of weeks, if the numbers remain in-range. :)

Seems like finger sticks 4x/day would be considered a more accurate representation of how my blood sugar reacts to food and fasting (the pre-breakfast 'stick'), than a test with crazy amounts of sugar on top of fasting for 16+ hours.

So thankful for the kindnesses... ~hugs all around~ :hugs:

mafaichney    4

Awww! I'm so sorry Mama-C! Hopefully since your is already fairly healthy the life change won't be too dramatic. Sorry you're experiencing this!

traci72    202

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Hopefully it won't be for the duration of the pg and that they can see your daily sticks are well w/in normal range and maybe drop it down to just weekly or less? In the meantime, I'm keeping you and your poor fingers in my prayers.

wbwatts    1

they thought I had GD but a couple weeks later after numerous sticks of normal numbers, I was able to retest. Turns out I didn't have GD but was just stressed out from going on bed rest. Keep an eye of on your sticks and if they are normal for like 2 weeks ask to be retested!