Sign in to follow this  
itsonlyk

Induction! Advice?

itsonlyk    65

Going in tonight at 8 pm where they will give me something to ripen the cervix and hopefully that will get things moving along? Doctor suggested this because slowly my blood pressure is creeping up and I am retaining more water. Any advice on what to expect? Both of my previous pregnancies were not induced so I am a little nervous I'll admit.

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
Lilly    16

I was induced for all of my births (2 of my own 1 with my surro baby). I was already dilated by the time I got to the hospital for all of them, the Dr gave me Pitocin (which for some people can slow labor down and others ... like me speeds it up), had my epidural (cos I'm a wuss) and my water broken.

Each birth the labor went quicker than the time before:

1st son was 5 hours (pushed for maybe 1 hr 1/2)

2nd son was about 3 1/2 hours (pushed maybe an hour)

3rd (surro baby) was about 2 hours (pushed 20min)

For me the induction was great, I hope you have the same experience!!

Edited by Lilly

Babz    38

I never had any issue with induction. The times when I needed to be ripened first, I never actually made it to pitocin. The ripening agent alone was enough to put me into active labor. Hopefully you are having a smooth induction... Can't wait to hear how it goes!

itsonlyk    65

Thank you so much for the advice and well wishes.

I went in on Tuesday (2/9) night. The plan was to take something to ripen my cervix as I was only 2 cm and 50% effaced at my last appointment (2/4.) When I did check in and the doctor on shift checked me he said my regular OB must have been being "nice" as I was not at all dilated. So that had me feeling super LOL Took the first dose of Cytotec (sp?) orally at about 10:30 pm once the daddies arrived. I sent them to their hotel for the night to get a good nights sleep with the promise that if anything happened, I'd call them ASAP to come back to the hospital. From about 11 pm to 8 am I had contractions every 2 minutes apart. They were painful so I was sure by the time the doctor checked again.... but no. No progress. My regular OB was on shift then though and she assured me that I am just a "hard exam" and I was indeed still ... 2 cm. I got zero sleep because - well - 2minutes apart doesn't give you much rest. At that point , about 9 am , OB attempted to break bag of waters to move things along. There was only a small bit of leakage, so two hours later she gave it another try... I was "possibly" a 3 and that's it. So THIS time she actually DID break the waters (hello, gush!) and they started some pitocin. Very low level, but the contractions really picked up. I was contracting every 3-5 minutes and they were intense. Checked at 1 pm and NO PROGRESS!!!!! My OB kept saying "Don't torture yourself, get an epidural" and finally when they were turning the pitocin up again I thought there was NO way I was going to be able to do anything else without some pain relief. The daddies were back of course and I hated them sitting watching me pant like a dog every 2 minutes, and my husband had to leave because my kids were getting out of school... So I thought "now is good." Had to get 2 bags of fluid in and about 2 pm the most beautiful man came in with his cart and gave me the most fantastic epidural ever. I slept from 2-3, they checked me again and I was at 8 cm. Apparently I was really fighting it off. By 4 pm I was at a 9 - the nurse asked me to roll over and after I rolled I was at a 10. I did a practice push, but I just was not confident enough so I asked them to please shut off the epidural. Took 30 minutes in hopes of being able to feel a little more - pushed through one contraction and baby J arrived. 4:38pm at 7lbs 8 oz (my biggest carry) and 19" long. Healthy, beautiful, amazing. Where do I sign up for the next round? I forget already how painful it is, how the stitches feel, how TERRIBLE the last month is... I'm ready to do it again. I left the next day, the daddies were able to leave this morning with their most beautiful son. I am so freaking proud of myself, so happy for them, so so so happy for them - and so glad I don't have a newborn to take care of LOL

• Like 1

traci72    202

:congrats2: :dancing dots: :dancing dots: :fireworks::4_19_3::cl1::woofreakinhoo::woofreakinhoo:

HUGE congrats!!!!! What a story. So super excited for you and your IP's....GREAT JOB!!! I can't imagine all that activity and not seeing the progress. Looks like your body just needed to relax a little and sounds like that epidural was exactly what you needed. I bet he's just gorgeous. Now you need to rest up...you've earned it!

itsonlyk    65

Thank you so much :) I'm still flying high on the happy. I can't believe it's over, even after the last 30 days of complaining LOL How are you all doing!? I'm so proud to be a part of the "GS x1" club. :-D

hech0506    12

Awesome birth story- thank you for sharing! Hope you're getting some much needed rest now and Congrats Again to you and your IPs!!!

Bri1109    0

That's amazing! Congrats to you and it sounds like you did a great job!

mama_moon    22

Woot! Congrats!

adoubleux57    8

Congrats!! You totally should have posted this in the birth stories section, i completely missed it but so happy you're on your second journey! I am just barely wrapping up contracts for our next one!