Sign in to follow this  
Mama-C

1 week hospital bedrest down... how many to go?

Mama-C    54

Hello Ladies!

I came to L&D last Monday due to a significant bleed which woke me up at about 3:30 that morning. It was painless, but horror-movie-esque with all the blood and clots. I have complete placenta previa, so wondered if/when I would have a bleed. Was lucky-enough to last until almost 33 weeks before it happened.

Came to L&D expecting to be placed on bedrest (as OB and perinatologist warned about bleeds and bedrest), having already been on pelvic rest/no lifting/no exercise for the entire pregnancy. Instead, I *got* to stay at the hospital "until delivery". My c-section is scheduled for 5/18 with 2 OBs, NICU staff, blood transfusion and probable hysterectomy happening due to anticipated hemorrhage and placental issues.

OB tells me every day I'm a "ticking timebomb" and subsequent bleeds are always worse than the first, so she anticipates some scary stuff will go down... she just can't way WHEN. So it could be tonight that i bleed and go for an emergency c-section, or it could hold out and wait for the scheduled one. I'll be here up to 5+ weeks... IN the hospital. Ugh.

Just thought I'd update for anyone searching 'placenta previa'. The risks are greater with advanced maternal age; multiple pregnancies; IVF; or prior uterine surgeries, so really I guess any of us could be candidates for this issue (though I hope none of you are).

In the meantime, I *have* managed to get myself out of having to work on the kitchen demo/remodel and now we've hired people to come out and finish what I started... so there's that. :)

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
mama_moon    22

That is incredibly scary! I'm sorry you woke up to bleeding and clots.

Being in the hospital for that long would drive me batty! Will they let you get up to walk the halls or wheelchair around if you get cabin fever?

At how many weeks did you discover there was placental previa?

Yay for not having to finish remodeling the kitchen!

Hugs

Mama-C    54

Hi mama_moon! Can only be sitting upright for 30 minutes per day; remainder is 'in bed'. I am allowed to use my 30 minutes sitting in a wheelchair (but have to be pushed around - can't motor myself - "no straining!"). Twice my kids have wheeled me to an open-air patio where I could soak up the outside world. It was amazing! I have lost some weight just in the week inpatient and doc is worried it's muscle mass, so will be starting PT or OT soon (though not exactly sure what will be allowed...hmmmmm) since I'll be here for awhile and should probably be in better shape to handle surgery/recovery when the time comes.

I am knitting, reading, listening to Pandora, visiting with whomever has a minute (dietary, cleaning people... LOL). Have never felt like I really had "time" to sit around and watch movies and stuff (just busy with my to-do list always), but now when a kid or kids come to visit, we actually hang out and do just that! It's relaxed and nice, and I don't feel rushed or like there's something else I should be doing. So I look at that as a blessing. :)

Hope you're doing well and feeling GREAT!

Mama-C    54

Oops! Forgot your question about PP. They discovered it early-on and I was sent to a perinatologist because of it. We all hoped it would move, but it didn't, and as it turns out, the sinus vein (artery? IDK which) is located in the part covering the cervix, so when it bleeds... it really bleeds. There was also a 'placental lake' behind the placenta (over the cervix) that was just pooling maternal blood, which contributed to the excessive amount of bleeding that occurred. Happily my blood counts are back up now where they should be, so I'm in a good position for losing a little blood now, should it happen. :) They were able to stop contractions; cervix remained closed at the time (CRAZY because it seems insane that all that 'stuff' could escape and the cervix still be closed tight, but that's what happens!); and they were able to get both doses of steroids in for baby's lung development.

mafaichney    4

Hey Donna! I've been keeping you in my thoughts. I'm so sorry you're stuck in the hospital. I can't even imagine! Hopefully your kids and hubby are doing okay at home for now. This has definitely not been an easy pregnancy for you.

I didn't realize you were likely facing some serious complications. I really hope everything goes as smoothly as possible. Hopefully you have plenty of Netflix and Hulu for the next few weeks. And definitely glad you're not having to worry about kitchen renos! We're also moving in the next week or so, and it's been awesome not having to carry anything being 38w pregnant :D.

Anyways, thinking of you!

itsonlyk    65

Oh, Mama-C. This is such a major bummer :( I'm so sorry for you and the scary bleeding and the scary idea of what is next with the promise of a worse future bleed, etc. I hope that what they are predicting as the worst case scenario never ever occurs... You're such a strong woman. I'm so glad to know you even the little bit online that I know of you. I have yarn. Let me send you some. Can you get mail in a hospital bed? LOL If you can, then PM me your address and I'll send you some!!! Black Friday sales at AC Moore has given ridiculous amount of pretty variegated girly yarn you could be knitting with that I don't think I'll ever use! Stay strong in there, try to keep up your cheerful spirit. You're a hero to me!

traci72    202

OMGOODNESS!!! How incredibly frightening for you! I'm glad they were able to get things as under control as they have and pray it continues. I often have time available early afternoons into the evenings (Mondays after 12pm, Tues/Thurs after 11am, all day Wed/Fri....typically) if you get bored and want to chat, Skype or text. I'm happy to help you pass the time.

Stay strong and know we're all thinking of you and sending our love and prayers your way!

Mama-C    54

My heart is so full right now. Thank you, mamas, for all the kindnesses and love!

K, I *will* send you my addy, but only because I KNOW the struggle with having too much yarn is REAL. :) I wish I could crochet like you can... you make beautiful treasures, woman! It'll be fun to see what you send!!!

Ma, You're moving?! At 38+ weeks pregnant?! WOW! Did hubby end up taking that out-of-state job, or is it somewhere more local? Are you still working, too?? When's your due-date?

Traci, Thank you for the offer of your time! How sweet are you?! Watch-out... I may just take you up on that offer! And remember I don't have much going on, so... it'll likely be a very one-sided 'what's the world like?' conversation. LOL! BTW, congrats on your new work-gig and also on another journey! (where the heck have I been that I had ZERO idea you were in contracts, etc.?!)

Have a good day!

MommaChaos    8

Oh my goodness! How scary! I currently have complete placenta previa (at last ultrasound with the placenta being anterior and right in the darn way for a csection) but I'm really hoping it moves. Mine was dx as partial at 15wks and full previa at 18wks. So far only one bleed (15wks) for me and no restrictions! I wasn't sent to a peri or anything. LOL> I'm not sure if I should be more concerned now or not! I hope your time in the hospital passes quickly! hugs!!!

BarbP    0

Oh my! I don't know you as I'm fairly new to the site but wanted to wish you well. I will be thinking of you in the days and weeks ahead. All the best...

mafaichney    4

Yep! He accepted it. We'll be moving to NW GA well...now. DH is leaving tomorrow and I'll be up there as soon as baby comes. I have an induction scheduled for Monday. My EDD is 5/8.

And yes! Still working full time. My last day of work is Friday. The belly's given me some great tips, hah.

Mama-C    54

Thanks to everypne for the well-wishes, conversation... And YARN! Oooohhh that yarn is pretty, K! Thank you!

Baby was born via emergency c-section 4/28 at about 10:30 pm. She was 4lb 15oz. I was under general anesthesia so did not see her until next a.m. in the NICU. I got to hold her skin-to-skin until she was transferred to a Level 3 NICU hospital about an hour away due to cardiac status. Her Dads will arrive tmrw. I did decide to pump/nurse her since she is so little and young. I had some issues post-surgically in that i did not take pain meds as-scheduled round-the-clock and ended up struggling to control pain rather than prevent it. Doing much better today, though and hoping for d/c tmrw or Mon. In the meantime, baby is doing great and was stepped down to the Level 2 unit at the new hosp today (which, btw, is the level at the hosp where I am (close to home) but they won't switch her back here. Hoping her daddies get here quickly and can start loving on her!

miamoo1    18

Oh my goodness!!! Donna I'm just catching up now and I can't believe how much you have been through. Congrats to you all!!! Glad to hear you and the baby are both healthy and doing well. Are her daddies from overseas? Hoping they arrive soon as well, it's such a shame that sweet little bundle of joy is saparated from you in the meantime. Hope your getting some much needed rest and that you will be in the warm company of your IF's and your surro babe real soon. ((Hugs))

mafaichney    4

Hey Donna! Glad to hear you're doing as ok as you can be. You did great lady! Any idea how long you'll be in the hospital for? I'm sure you're eager to get back home.

And let the daddies know if they need anyone to snuggle baby while at the new hospital, I might know someone scheduled for an induction there Monday at 4am ;)