Sign in to follow this  
Royche

Is it common to induce

Royche    5

2 of my friends who are having babies via Gc are having pregnancies induce because they want to be there for birth. Is this a common practice for surrogacy? How soon is too soon to induce? My Gc induced on both her kids when she was 40wks, so not sure if we have to do it again. I would prefer if she goes into labor naturally when baby is ready, but it's up to dr and how Gc is feeling. We plan to be there 13 days before due date so that we don't have to induce to accommodate to our work schedule.

Am I crazy to not want to induce because I feel that maybe baby is developing still and isn't ready yet? Of course if it's over 40 wks then inducing would be an option and probably a must.

Edited by Royche

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
mama_moon    22

I'm all for waiting for it to happen naturally as long as baby and GC are doing well. I feel like medically intervening could lead to other issues arising and more intervention. If you can wait it out, that would be better in my opinion. But I'm not a doctor.

I was induced with the twins at 38.4 weeks but that is more common with twins. Doctors are concerned with the placenta not working as well after 38 weeks and I had another medical issue arise toward the end that prompted my doctor to push for inducing.

GSinIN    38

I have been induced with all of my gs babies. First and second set of twins were at 37w3d. My OB(two different OBs actually) would not allow me to go over 38 weeks. My third surro pregnancy was induced at 39w1d for convenience. The IPs were about 3-4 hours away and it was winter. My current surro babe will be induced at 39w3d also for convenience of my IPs, my husband's work schedule, among other things. I know my body handles induction well as so do I and I don't mind for the sake of my IPs being there. If I go into labor on my own beforehand then we will deal with it.

My ob scheduled me to be induced at 39 weeks. The hospital I had to deliver in was in a different state and we all wanted to make sure we were all prepared. But my water broke two days before the induction. Thankfully everyone made it to the hospital with plenty of time.

traci72    202

The ACOG has really put their foot down on this, and unless "medically necessary", inductions aren't supposed to be done prior to 39wks. For me, we started inducing my pg's w/my 4th baby, because of my labor and birth history. (DS#2 was born about 8mins after we got to the hospital. My longest birth is 3hrs 45mins, shortest is under an hour) She was actually a failed induction, and I went home. From her 1st contraction to birth as 50mins, and that's only because they wouldn't let me push for 10mins, waiting on any available Dr to show up. Yes, part of my concern is if my IPs will make it in time or not, because that is hugely important to ME, but my Dr's concern is that I just actually make it physically TO the Birthing Center BEFORE baby comes out. (we didn't induce w/the twins though) This time around I have a new Dr and we haven't discussed it just yet, but I know a lot will also depend on if my history of early dilation (not preterm labor) stays true.

I should also add that we don't induce w/pitocin either. I won't let that vile crap near me! We either use a prostaglandin gel or Cervidil and once I get to at least 6-7+cm, I have them break my water.

Royche    5

Wow thanks guys good to hear.

And traci72 u are a rock star at delivery!! Haha and thank u for letting me know alternative options for inducing.

My Gc has induced both times at 40 wks so we will see how she does this time around. I'm hoping and assuming if all goes well that is being there 14 days prior should be fine.