Sign in to follow this  
mama_moon

Baby Boy Birth Story

mama_moon    22

I awoke at about 2:45am on 12/7/16 needing to use the restroom and having some cramping. After using the bathroom, I noticed I was getting contractions every few minutes so I started a timer. Sure enough they were happening every 3 minutes and lasting for about a minute.

I realized I had a few things to do still before going to the hospital. I "had" to print up the legal papers just in case the hospital didn't have them or couldn't find them.

The IFs woke up as I was trying to get things together. I was waiting to make sure the contractions weren't going away. They got their things ready and started packing up the car. I woke up my youngest and got her ready to come with us since my oldest was staying the night at her friend's.

We got into the car and drove to the hospital. I called the doctor's office to let them know and I called my oldest to let her know.

We arrived at the hospital and walked to the Labor and Delivery department. When the OB Nurse checked my cervix I was about 5cm dilated and like 70% effaced. Still some ways to go. That was around 4:30am.

The doctor checked later in the morning when I was around 8cm. The sac was still intact and bulging. He said he could pop the amniotic sac to speed up the labor but there was a risk of the cord rushing out. I declined. He came back and checked later and he said maybe another hour. At this point, the contractions were super intense and there was a sharp pain each time. I also felt like throwing up after each one. It was pretty unbearable. I was ready at this point for some meds to ease the pain and I really wanted to give up but there isn't a give up at that point. I asked the nurse if there were any medications that wouldn't affect the baby. She said there weren't any this far into labor but some less than others. I was literally mad at the doctor for telling me another hour. It's like he deflated my balloon. He came in a third time after many more contractions and said that they'd break the water. When they did, there was light merconium in the water. At this point he was wanting me to push. I didn't really feel the urge to push. I'm not sure I've ever felt the actual urge to push. When the first contraction came on I tried but couldn't really get it. The second one came and I tried 3 pushes. The third contraction, I got in 3 more pushes. The second push his head came partially out and boy did that burn. Then I had a nurse trying to lube around his head, I cursed and said please stop! lol. They were telling me to let him stretch me out. I was like, I know!!! It still hurts! The next push his head was out and I think the doctor saw the cord looped around his shoulder or neck, did something, and then told me to keep pushing. He basically grabbed the baby's shoulders and pulled the rest of him out. I was immediately relieved and somehow had regained energy. That had to have been the most painful birth I have had so far. I did need a couple stitches. The first time that's ever happened. I think it's because he came out so quickly and I didn't have time to stretch.

He was born at 10:20am. They did a quick wipe down and then handed him to his dads who did skin to skin with him. He was weighed after and was 7lbs 4oz and 20 inches long. He is a pretty healthy baby :)

One of the cool things that happened was during the end of my labor a gust of wind blew past the window and it was snowing! That was awesome. It rarely does that here, like every 4-5 years or more. Even if it didn't happen for very long or stick, seeing it snow out here has been a wish of mine.

I'm doing some wet nursing and pumping for the dads while they are here. My milk is also coming in faster than I remember.

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
beachalice    23

Congratulations!

How scary to be told you might have a cord prolapse and then to have meconium :( I'm so thankful baby is here safely and the only complication was a tear.

Healing vibes! I hope you can rest and recover smoothly.

traci72    202

What a great story!! (I LOVE reading birth stories!!!) You are a rock start....what an awesome job you did! Super proud of you. Huge congrats to you and your IP's. I bet they are just over the moon. Sorry to hear there were a few rough spots, but glad you're doing well. Make sure you're getting plenty of rest...you've earned it!

miamoo1    18

Ahhh...beautiful:) I must say birth stories are the best. Your such a trooper...I know just how difficult those darn contractions are and how exhausting they are when your going through them back to back over the course of a few or more hours. I felt such intense pain in my lower back it just put me into tears several times.

Congrats to you, a healthy little peanut and to your amazing strength. I hope your resting up and not feeling too much discomfort as your milk comes in:)

mama_moon    22

I'm doing pretty well. The new family has left and begun their journey home. They are so sweet. I'm already missing the three of them. Now, I'll work on suppressing my milk and getting back to "normal." Thanks for asking :)

How are you beachalice?

beachalice    23

I'm wonderful now that the holidays are passed; thank you!

I can only imagine the emptiness after. You know all along that the baby isn't yours, but the close bond and regular contact surely fade in the early newborn days as the IPs settle in their babymoon.

I'm not looking forward to issues with milk either. I'm hoping my IPs will want my milk. But I know they are welcome to change their minds at any point. At least there are many resources out there for suppressing milk production.

Do you think you might consider a 3rd journey?

mama_moon    22

I'm considering a third journey. I'm open to my previous IFs or maybe family. I realized that working full-time as a teacher and being pregnant is very difficult for me. I'm also burnt out on hospital births and how they don't let me do what I want in labor. Even though those are the only birth experiences I've had. :) So it'd have to be somebody I really care about for me to do this again. At least, that's how I feel at this point. Who knows?

beachalice    23

Those are some important considerations.

Do any of the OB offices near you use midwives in the practice? Are there any birth centers within a reasonable distance?

I had a hospital birth with a midwife, then a homebirth with a certified midwife. I'll be at a hospital with an OB for this journey so it was important to me to make sure she was in agreement with my basic goals. We'll see how it goes.

Healing vibes and best wishes for a strong start back to school :)

mama_moon    22

There's a birthing center about an hour away. No midwives in my town. No Doulas. I didn't birth at the center or in the town about an hour away because it's Winter. But if the season is different next time, I would consider it.

Even if your OB is in agreement, there's the nurses and the hospital policies and the possibility that your OB won't be the one on duty for the birth. So it's great to have someone to advocate for you while you are in labor. I wish I had a doula this time. Last time I had a doula and the labor was much more manageable and I was birthing twins.

beachalice    23

Doula all the way. I agree with you.

My OB is known as "the mean one". She makes the nurses listen to her. She believes momma she need gravity to birth a baby successfully.

It's so far away that I'm not giving it too much thought yet.

But I plan on finding a doula and empowering the IPs to speak up on my behalf.

An hour distance is tricky. Good call to stay closer for the winter.

What will be will be :)