Sign in to follow this  

Baby Luna's birth story

Recommended Posts

b-2gether    4

Wednesday into Thursday night i was feeling very restless and kept having contractions. I wasn't sure if it was just more irritable uterus or if it might progress into actual labor. I was having a lot of loose stools and just felt generally miserable.

In the morning my husband decided he was going to take the day off, since it was my due date and i told him there might be a baby today. around 8am the contractions were consistently coming at 9 minutes apart and I was pretty sure today was the day.

I had an ultrasound and a check-up scheduled at 10am, and I really wanted to labor as long as i could outside the hospital.

I called my doula and asked her if she could check me. I was only 2cm dialated and not progressing yet.

When i went in for my ultrasound and check-up i didn't mention that i was having contractions, because i was afraid that they would keep me.

The ultrasound looked good, although the measured the baby at over 9lbs.

The doctors told us that the VBAC protocol might not allow babies over 9lb...

We left the office and decided to go watch a movie. During the movie the contractions got worse and were coming every 5 minutes, and i had a hard time staying seated.

After the movie we called my doula and asked her to meet us at the hotel.

On the way to the hotel my doctor called to tell us that indeed their protocol didn't allow VBAC's over 9 lb and that if i came in to their hospital,it would be an automatic C-section... I was so frustrated! He did tell me he had contacted the hospital 40 minutes away and that the doctors there would let me try a VBAC there.

So we decided to check out of the hotel room we were in,drive 40 minutes and check into a hotel room close to the new hospital. When we got there the contractions were 3-4 minutes apart but i was still only 2cm dilated. at 7pm my doula suggested i started squatting with every contraction. Then everything went really quick. An hour later i was 8cm dilated and contractions were coming every minute and my doula said we needed to move to the hospital. we were at the hospital 5 minutes later.

The doctor told us i had 2 hours to progress to 10cm, or otherwise he would move to a c-section. I found this very frustrating were all i wanted was a natural vaginal birth. half an our later i felt the urge to push. The contractions were incredibly painful and it took a lot of squeezing helping hands and grunting to get through them.

My doula suggested for me to move to the toilet and told me it was okay to push. Oh, that felt so good, the pushing got me though the pain.

At 10 pm i was fully dilated but the baby was not descending and was showing distress and the doctor said I needed a c-section fast.

I was really disappointed, but once the decision was made I just wanted to over with. It seemed like they took forever explaining and signing the paperwork.

Next came the worst 5 minutes ever. The contractions were coming every 30 seconds and I felt like pushing but was told not to. they had me walk to the operating room and at the doors said that my doula and husband were not allowed to come in with me. This made me have a complete melt down, i felt like i lost my support completely. They had me move to a bed and nobody was talking to me, just talking over my head. Trying to deal with the contractions on my own on that bed felt like it took forever (in reality it was only 5 minutes or so)

once in the operating room they needed me to sit up for the epidural. It was so hard with all the contractions with no support, i was screaming the whole time. Then they put the epidural in, and sweet bliss....

They laid me on the bed and there was NO MORE PAIN :-)

As soon as the epidural kicked in I felt like sleeping. I just laid there with my eyes closed. The nurse kept asking if I was okay,lol.

Baby Luna was born at 10.38pm with the umbilical cord twice around her neck. She weighed 8lb 4oz (we would have been fine in the first hospital!!)

The IP's arrived while I was in recovery having skin-to-skin with Luna.

They met us in the room and it was amazing to see their faces when my doula handed Luna to them. They were so amazed.

I nursed Luna until she went home Saturday afternoon.

When my husband came to visit me Saturday evening after work, he complained about abdominal pain... i send him to the ER and within 45 minuted he was in SURGERY having his appendix taken out!!

What is the chance of that?

We both got discharged on Sunday and a friend had to drive us home,due to neither of us being allowed to drive.

It is now Wednesday and we are both still in quite a bit of pain. I am pumping breast milk for Luna and she is doing great. The IP's will be in the country until the end of February and then they will be going back to China.

We are already talking about the next journey for a sibling.






Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
beachalice    24



Two surgeries for your family :( I'm so sorry to hear that.


Thankfully, Baby Luna is here safely. No amount of pushing or any size baby could make it with the umbilical cord like that.


Congratulations on your journey!

~~~healing vibes~~~

Hope you can get some rest

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Surromom360    14

Wow!! Two surgeries in your family within that short of time!? I guess the upside is you got hem both in before insurance started over in January. Lol glad to hear you are doing well! Congrats on a healthy delivery of baby Luna!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
miamoo1    18

Oh my! What a birth happy baby Luna is finally here and doing well:) Sorry to hear you were not allowed to have the support of your hubby or doula:( during your surgery. I can only imagine just how difficult that must have been.


I hope you and your husband are doing well...lots of rest for the both of you!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
mama_moon    22

I'm sorry that the birth was not as you hoped. I'm glad that baby Luna was okay. That's pretty scary when the umbilical cord gets wrapped around the baby!


I hope you and your husband have quick and not too painful recovery.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
beachalice    24

And then mastitis. :(


Take it easy at work. Hopefully it will be a positive distraction rather than exhausting.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this