Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
D&J2017

Blue Cross insurance in Texas covers surrogacy???

11 posts in this topic

Hello to everyone,

We have found this type of insurance for our future GC, and we would like to be informed about this company and if this covers surrogacy process, due to we are from Spain and we don't know very much how the USA insurances work for this.

The policy is : blue advantage plus gold HMO 101

We would be very grateful if you could give us some more information about this.

Thank you very much for your help!

D&J

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!

If this is the correct coverage document for your plan, then I do not notice an exclusion for surrogacy:

https://www.bcbstx.com/static/tx/pdf/policy-forms/2017/33602TX0770001-03.pdf

However, I did notice on page 29 it says:

"A separate Hospital admission Copayment/Coinsurance is required for a newborn child at time of delivery."
It is my understanding that YOUR baby would not be covered under the SURROGATE'S policy. And considering this policy requires a separate hospital bill for baby, you might want to check with your surrogacy agency or the insurance agency to find out whether your baby will be covered under your policy from Spain or if you should plan for additional newborn expenses.

Hi!

Many thanks for the information.

Yes we will need to purchase another policy for the newborn, this only covers GC.

They have told us to go on with the "gold" plan, as it has a low OOP and deductible, moreover as, if we were lucky, would be ready for the transfer by June 2017, so the delivery would be on 2018, and the policy would come to $0 again...

Step by step, first hope we can go on with skype, psychological screening and medical clearance and contract...

Long way still...

Thank you very much!

D&J

Hi there! How are you all? Hope everything goes fine to everybody.

We wanted to inform that we are currently very happy because our GC got her psyc evaluation last week and she is working now on her medica clearance, she is scheduled by mid of April.

Things are moving along so fast!!!

Let's see what happens in next step and hopefully she will get her medical clearance to go on with legal.

Thank you everyone for your support.

D&J

Great update, hopefully she'll be cleared and ready to move forward in no time. Best wishes

Hello to everyone, how are you doing?

We have beeen looking for some further information about the medical clearance, but we haven't found much more information, so that's why we want to ask you if you could help us on this:

Our GC has her appointment next week and she has been told to do a lot of blood works and urine test. Besides, she has to be done an untrasound, I think is quite different than others US.

The question is if someone know if these tests are difficult to pass, we don't know anything about them but we think is quite complicated as far as her last pregnancy was 13 years ago, more or less. ( she is unbelievable and has had 4 healthy pregnancies). We think the best is to wait and see how it goes, but we would like to move forward as soon as possible, besides, do you know more or less how long does the clinic take normally to give the results?

Thank you very much for your help!

D&J

There are very specific FDA tests that have to be done to clear her to move forward, such as drug, nicotine, STD's, rubella, varicella, measles, HIV, hepatitis, etc. The same will be done for her DH or SO. (they have fewer done than the potential surrogate, but there are still several done) The U/S is looking for abnormalities or concerns in the uterus. A small amt of saline solution is injected into the uterus to make things more visible.

Thank you for the information.

Hope she gets this soon done, and have a good results to move forward to legal part.

We were told that the results would be ready about 1/2 weeks after doing the test, do you know if this is realistic?

We thought the US results would be ready during the day.

Let's have a little bit of patience...

Thank you!

D

Not all places do "STAT" results (even though the orders say STAT), as well as some places do specific tests in "batches". For example, they may run all drug screens at a specific time all together and STD's all together at a different time, etc. One of our surrogates went to LabCorp and it took us just over 2wks to get her results back, but another of our surrogates (different state) went to a LabCorp and we had her results back in just under a week. I've had my own testing done at my local clinic (primary care), a LabCorp and the RE's clinic. I've had it take anywhere from next day to 1 1/2wks to get results back. As far as the U/S, that's something that the RE will see/know immediately if there is an issue or not.