Surromom360

Birth of Baby C and L - warning its a book

12 posts in this topic

My husband and I showed up to the hospital at 7:00 AM and the nurses started my IV. My Dr. came in and did a quick ultrasound to verify positioning of babies. They were frank breech (butt in pelvis) and complete breech (feet first). My doctor had told me we are still on track to attempt a vaginal delivery. According to ACOG (American Congress of OB) there are certain guidelines that can help determine a successful delivery of breech babies such as proven pelvis, previous babies weigh more than the current baby, young mother, no previous c sections, Etc.. so I met every single one of those requirements. Well before they started the pitocin, the nurses said they are checking policy and procedure. They came in a little later and said looks like things are good to go and started the Pitocin at 1. 5 minutes later they came back in and shut off the pitocin and said one of the higher ups is weighing in on the situation. So we waited and the higher up said no to the vaginal delivery so they consulted with a high risk doctor. This doctor also said no but he is no longer head of the OB doctors so they consulted a third doctor who is the head of OB and HE said no to vaginal so my doctor and him consulted one another and couldn't come to a conclusion so they got the charge nurse involved. My IPS arrived around 10 and I was really hoping they would have an answer before they got there because I didn't want them to worry about what was going on. I was okay either way. I would have preferred vaginal but I had been prepared to have a C section because my doc had told me there is an 80% chance of c section all along. a little background on my doc is he has been an OB for 28 years. He does a LOT of twin pregnancies and he is a very overly cautious doctor. Most doctors turn of magnesium after 48 hours and he kept me on magnesium in antepartum for 11 days at the end of the pregnancy to help keep the contractions at bay so the babies could stay in. Well the IPs showed up and they still hadn't reached a conclusion so I just decided to fill them in on what it going on. Shortly after her parents showed up (first grandbabies so it was a happy occasion) and still no answer. finally around 1:00 PM my nurse came in and said they have reached the conclusion that I can do a vaginal delivery but my OB can't break my water. I think the reason he probably won was because we are delivering in the OR anyways and so the second anything goes south they would be ready to do an emergency C section. By 3:30PM I was starting to feel the contractions and they were coming regularly so I got the epidural. I had hired a birth photographer for the delivery because whether vaginal or c section, while they were recovering me in the OR once the babies were stable they take them out to the labor room with the parents and so I would miss those first moments. I definitely wanted them to have those moments to themselves but I really wanted to see faces and emotion and then they could do that and I could still see the moments. the photographer had been texting with my husband on my phone and she was asking when the doctor was going to come in. So before this transfer I had a LEEP procedure done to remove some abnormal cells on my cervix and this put scar tissue around my cervix. I had been 100% effaced for a few weeks and only 2.5 cm dialated and even after my epidural when the nurses checked me I was still 2.5 cm dialated. my MD says he believes that was probably the ONLY thing keeping those babies in. so after I was comfortable the nurses were going to the call the MD for him to come in and break up the scar tissue and the photographer i guess wasn't getting the answers she wanted of WHEN the doctor was coming in so she just headed to the hospital. The photographer showed up and she was all pissed off and acted like we were a huge inconvenience. she kind of threw her equipment around and immediately the mood in the room went down. Working in L&D, I have worked with his photographer before with other patients. She isn't very sociable, she things she knows more than the nurses and doctors, she isn't afraid to step on toes and get in the way, but she takes AMAZING pictures! So when I told the nurses at work I had hired her they all joked I was going to have to deliver my own babies. haha! so everytime the IPs would ask the nurses questions (i decided to be the patient that day and let the nurses handle the questions etc) the photographer would chime in and answer their question. It was getting old fast.... well the grandparents (IM's parents) asked me about why it was such a concern in these babies come vaginal or c section and so of course the all knowing photographer chimed in and said "well Breech deliveries are dangerous because they don't know where the cord is, so if it is wrapped around the babies neck it could sever the spinal cord causing paralysis or death" and I could tell the IPs and grandparents were starting to get more concerned (as anyone would have!!) and yes... entrapment is a possibility but what they were MORE worried about was a prolapsed cord because butts don't fit nicely in pelvises like heads do. I just kept my mouth shut which I wish I wouldn't have. I just wanted to avoid conflict and not stress out the parents more. I assured the IM that my doctor is amazing and worst case if anything even starts to head south then he would pull the plug and do a c section. I reminded them there is nothing in it for him. He gets payed WAY more to do a c section and he could be in and out in 2 hours and home in time for dinner. He does c sections all the time so he knows I would be fine and he could avoid all the conflict and heat to just do the c section. what he REALLY cared about was the babies. he wanted them to get the squeeze to get the fluid out of their little lungs and the flora into their digestive systems that helps them process food. So the Dr. came in around 5:15 PM and brought this tool to break up the scar tissue (looked a little like salad tongs). He started breaking up the tissue (which thank HEAVENS for the epidural) and immediately I went to 6 cm. I told the nurses historically once I hit a 6 its about half an hour and I'm complete and ready to push. so they left and came back in half an hour and sure enough I was complete. At this point my IPs were in scrubs and my husband also. I am only allowed one person in the OR and I had told my IM if its going to be vaginal I would love her to be in there if she wants to. if it was going to be C section then I wanted my husband in there. So the photographer gave my IM a second camera she had brought and told her one of the nurses would take it from her in the OR. my nurses were like "uhhh no they won't. everyone has a job in there and no one can take it" then they left and the photographer said" yes they will..." so we are wheeled down to the OR and the boys are outside the door but there are two windows that look into the OR that they can watch from. Of course as expected, no one took the camera from my IM and so she was stuck taking the pictures. she wasn't really even paying attention to where she was shooting though, she was just spamming pictures. Hahaha!! I really didn't care though because the OR pictures weren't as important to me.The plan was my IM would be in the room for baby A and she would cut the cord, and then they would switch out and my IP would be in the room for baby B and he would cut the cord. the doc was maybe 2 feet away from me putting on his second glove on and the nurses told me to go ahead and start pushing. The baby started to fly out so the doctor had to jump forward to grab it and it was literally one push and baby A was out. They clamped the cord, IM cut it, stimulated the baby, and the first NICU team took it to the warmer to check lung sounds and do a quick assessment. they said we are going to start pushing for baby B, so I looked at my IM and asked her if she wanted to swap out my IP and she had a huge grin on her face and said "No... I'm ok!" and I could see the poor IF looking through the window ansy to come in so we started pushing for baby B and when baby B was halfway out my dear husband opened the OR door and pushed the IF in and said "You look like everyone else! just go!!" so after 2 pushes baby B was out so the doc handed my IF the scissors and he was able to cut the cord. then they took baby B to the second warmer for evaluation and now both IPs are the in the room taking pictures of babies etc. Baby A was born at 6:24 PM weighing 6.4 lb and 19 inches long and baby B was born at 6:27 PM weighing 6.2 lb weighing 20 inches long. I had a 1st degree tear but everything went amazing!! the babies did have to go to NICU for observation because they needed a little help breathing at first and then they had problems keeping their sugars up. They were only there for 5.5 hours and my Doc said if it was a c section they would have been there for a few days. I was able to pump colostrum for them and the IM had been inducing breastmilk so she had a big stash of frozen as well as fresh breastmilk to feed them right away. She has never been pregnant and very skinny and she gets around 13 oz per day!!! seriously amazes me! and she was able to breastfeed in the hospital. the boys and I were released 2 days later and the are not home with their parents. everyone is great and I couldn't be happier. They send pictures and updates all the time and it was an amazing experience I will never forget. P.S. some of the pictures the photographer did take (everyone before delivery and IPs walking with babies to nicu with BIG smiles) were precious so she is slowly redeeming herself.

Edited by Surromom360

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!

What a great story...minus the photographer! LOL! I probably would have smacked her or told her to shut up. So happy to hear that your IM was in there for both. AND that your DH shoved your IF in there!!! That's always something that was so important to me...having my IP's there to see the birth of their child/ren. Love it. Sounds like you are doing really well and on the road to recovery. Absolutely LOVED reading this and so freaking thrilled for you!!!

Now...go rest up and do nothing...you've earned it!

k so I just re-read through the post and I have SOOO many typing errors. the biggest one though is they are NOW home with their parents. sorry about all the typos!

Thank you Traci! I was so proud of my husband! if anyone else would have done it they would have been written up, but since he isn't hospital staff they can't say jack. ;-) I will also try and post a picture of the babies! My IPs said it was fine as long as I don't use names.

Edited by Surromom360

Wow! YAAAYYY!!!!! Congratulations!

What an exciting birth story. Big babies and hospital drama and vaginal breech twin delivery.... Whoa!

:4_19_3:

Healthy vibes for a quick recovery!

Such an amazing story!! It gave me such butterflies just trying to imagine myself finally being in this situation! So glad to hear everything went so well and i hope youre still feeling great!

You're just plain amazing. Thank you for sharing your story! I hope you're getting back to yourself after giving yourself to grow those babies. Congratulations :)

Thank you everyone! I'm feeling really good!

Mikey112: I'll be thinking about you in July and sending lots of baby dust!!

As promised, here is a picture of the boys!! My ❤️ Is full!

post-11474-0-11040600-1495865519_thumb.jpg

Edited by Surromom360
2 people like this

Whatttt! Babies aren't supposed to actually be that cute. They're supposed to be gross. ;) Those two are just precious.

How absolutely precious! Congratulations to you and their parents 💗

Great story! Congratulations on a vaginal delivery with breech twins!! You are amazing :) The boys are soooo adorable.

Congratulations!! Holy cow what a fiasco!! Sounds like it was a very chaotic but amazing day! Glad all went well!!