Sign in to follow this  
NJLyn

NT (Nuchal Translucency) Screening-Ultrascreen

NJLyn    4

:hello:

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while. I am scheduled for an "Ultrascreen" this Wednesday at the high risk OB due to my AMA (age 36), I will be exactly 12 weeks. IM was 37 when eggs were frozen, so doc wants to be sure if any genetic anomalies.

Between the RE and OB, I've had 4 ultrasounds so far, nice strong heartbeat each time. Now this screening is looming and IP's and I are nervous!

Anyone else have this screening? I am still in shock we made it this far, thankful for each day and looking forward to eating a full meal again and not having morning sickness! 

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
traci72    202

I've never heard of an NT being referred to as an "ultrascreen", and personally wouldn't classify it as that, but it's just a more indepth U/S looking for specific markers for DS and certain trisomies. It cannot detect NTD's at all, but when the NT is combined w/the blood test, it's pretty accurate for assessing the risk at least of DS. I've had one w/every single surro-pg and it is actually something that is routinely recommended in MN, and age (depending on clinic/hospital) has not been a factor. The clinic I go to for all our family care, OB, etc, recommends it to ALL their pg patients, including those young one's....late teens/early 20's. It is ONLY a screening scan though and NOT a diagnostic test, so it can still come back w/an elevated risk (I've seen this happen quite a few times, and not just to surrogates), so if that happens, don't freak out just yet! They would still require an amnio or other diagnostic test to confirm. 

We had a younger mom at my church who's NT came back looking as if her baby had DS and she was so freaked out. They did an amnio and it showed that baby was perfectly healthy, so "scares" can still happen. For me though, it was a nice chance to just see how baby was developing and growing since the last scan, and just reassuring to see those movements, etc. I'm sure that the NT will go just fine, but please do come back and update us!!

beachalice    23

Congrats, NJLyn!

:milestone: 

Maybe google nuchal scan just to know what to expect. 

And definitely let us know how it goes!:xoxo: 

NJLyn    4

Everything went fine. It was a bit nerve wracking since the hospital is under construction so my test was right in the Labor and Delivery unit, a bit of commotion and a lot of families.

The NT measured 1.3 which is good. FHR was 165. They call it the "Ultrascreen" because they also drew blood for the cell free fetal DNA test and the high risk OB/geneticist will write up a report and give us an "estimate" they also look at the nasal bones, anatomy as best they can, arms, legs, etc. And they did a 3D at the end.

Should have those results in 10 days. It was so cute to see the little peanut jumping all around..I've never had a US at 12 weeks with my own pregnancies before, so that was special. The neat thing about the cell free DNA test is we will know the gender. The hospital here is not used to surrogates, every one was amazed and had tons of questions.

traci72    202

Oh no, I know what all is done, they've just never called it that here. I've had all 4 done (including on a set of twins) by a perinatologist, and the only reference ever made to the procedure is strictly an "NT scan". Bloodwork, reports, etc are always done. Just shows that different Dr's/hospitals/clinics can call things by different names. It does make it confusing though, when talking to others, when it's not referred to by what the common name/procedure is. That's why I was initially confused.

So glad to hear that all went well (I knew it would!!) and that you got to see baby jumping around. That's always the exciting/fun part!! 

NJLyn    4

Hello :) just wanted to circle back and give an update. Maybe this will help another IM or surrogate. Our results from the Panorama test were completely inconclusive with a disclaimer stating their test and lab does not offer testing for Gestational Surrogates or donor eggs. They said it detected a DNA mismatch.

I wish our high risk OB would've known this, it would have saved my IM hundreds of dollars. The OB now recommends the "Harmony" test, which I've read online is also not applicable to a GS or Donor Eggs. The office did not do the first trimester blood work either, HCG and PAPP-A, which I thought was part of the blood work the day of the Nuchal Scan, but evidently not. I am scheduled for the Harmony test next week when I'll be 14 weeks.

This part is tough. IM and I both fear amnio, so hopefully we won't have to consider that route. I guess we'll see what happens.

I understand these are just screening tests, but I don't want to undergo more unnecessary blood work or have my IM have to pay for these if they aren't giving us any data to go on.

I am confident that everything is ok, but I know my IM is very scared. Did I mention how awesome it is to be pregnant again! LOL. I'm loving it, so happy I can help someone like this, I get so emotional every time I think of what I'm doing for her...it's just awesome :D

beachalice    23

That's a bummer!!

I have seen on various boards that Harmony is better for surrogates. Were the embryos PGS?  I think the Harmony is the same trisomy screening as preimplantation genetic screening. 

Regardless of the testing, I am so glad to hear you're enjoying the experience. With a great NT scan, it sounds like baby is low risk :)

traci72    202

The Harmony test DOES work for GS/donor eggs and there is a specific box the Dr marks indicating this. I had this done w/this last pg and it was completely accurate. Most surrogates that have an NIPT done, have the Harmony or the Materni21 done because of it either being the IM's egg or an ED. Frankly, your Dr should have known this because this information is available either on the manufacturer's website or by calling them. Even though we knew the Harmony worked in regards to an ED, my Dr still called them to verify what was on their website was accurate. I'm sorry your IP's are out all that $$ for nothing.

NJLyn    4

Thanks beachalice and traci72...when I go next week, I will mention "checking the ED box" just to be sure.