Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I am still in the research stage of gestational surrogacy/agencies. I will be a single-intended father when I am finally able to sign a contract. Ideally I would like to plan for the delivery of a child by 2019. With that in mind, when exactly should I begin the process of signing with an agency?

I keep getting different time lines from different sources. My main concern is finding an egg donor and surrogate and however long that will take. I was intending on signing with an agency by October 2018, does that seem reasonable or too late in the game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
beachalice    23

It can be anywhere from 4 months to a year or more from signing with an agency to the transfer of an embryo.  If the first transfer is successful, pregnancy takes 9 months. 

If you want a due date in 2019, I'd aim for a transfer in Autumn of 2018, so I personally would want to be researching agencies now.  Does your preferred agency help with egg donors as well as surrogates?  What is the screening process for the egg donors and surrogates before match - and how what is the timeline after matching to transfer?  Do they have egg donors or surrogates waiting or hat do they estimate is the waiting time for a good match given your criteria (location, termination, communication style, lifestyle, etc)?

You might find an agency that meets all your needs and has a list of surrogates waiting for you - in which case you can ask what timeline they'd recommend if you're aiming for transfer next fall.  Or it may be that there's a 3-6 month wait list on average for IPs - in which case you might want to go ahead and get on that list with a clear explanation in your profile of your desired timeline. 
 

Just my :2cents:

Best wishes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beachalice    23

You can also start with an egg donor and begin making embryos now.  Depending on the amount of preimplantation screening you want to do, it can be helpful when matching with a surrogate to already have your frozen embryos ready. Sometimes it takes several egg retrieval cycles to get enough quality embryos to be able to move forward with a planned transfer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mikey112    3

I have to agree with beachalice - I would probably get started with the egg donor ASAP.  When we started researching our surrogacy agencies they told us they would prefer that we already have our embryos formed and frozen before even contracting with any surrogate.  Otherwise you may be stuck in contract with the GC and then have to wait months and months to even get your embryos.  

Every story and timeline is going to be a little different but I can share with you my personal timeline which was that we started our agency search early July 2016, formed our embryos in early August 2016 and contracted with our GC in late November 2016.  We are now expecting our baby in March of 2018- so from very beginning of researching agencies to the brith,  our process will end up being about a year and 8 months.  Again, take it with a grain of salt as there are so many variables. 

Best of luck to you though in this exciting and crazy process!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2017 at 4:09 PM, mikey112 said:

I have to agree with beachalice - I would probably get started with the egg donor ASAP.  When we started researching our surrogacy agencies they told us they would prefer that we already have our embryos formed and frozen before even contracting with any surrogate.  Otherwise you may be stuck in contract with the GC and then have to wait months and months to even get your embryos.  

Every story and timeline is going to be a little different but I can share with you my personal timeline which was that we started our agency search early July 2016, formed our embryos in early August 2016 and contracted with our GC in late November 2016.  We are now expecting our baby in March of 2018- so from very beginning of researching agencies to the brith,  our process will end up being about a year and 8 months.  Again, take it with a grain of salt as there are so many variables. 

Best of luck to you though in this exciting and crazy process!

 

That makes a lot of sense. Seems like your time line was fairly reasonable. How much did you pay to keep the embryo's frozen all of that time?

On 9/5/2017 at 2:42 PM, beachalice said:

You can also start with an egg donor and begin making embryos now.  Depending on the amount of preimplantation screening you want to do, it can be helpful when matching with a surrogate to already have your frozen embryos ready. Sometimes it takes several egg retrieval cycles to get enough quality embryos to be able to move forward with a planned transfer. 

Would I not have to pay for them to be stored and froze however? Suppose I started the egg donor program in late April and retrieved in June, signed up with an agency in July. I would like transfer to happen Oct-Nov. The eggs will have to be kept frozen no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beachalice    23

Question for you, sir: If your donor retrieval resulted in 15 eggs and 10 of them made it to healthy looking 5-day blastocysts, and everything lined up just right with the timing so you could do a fresh transfer to your surrogate, what would you do with the other 9 embryos?  If you were planning on discarding them all, what would you do if your first transfer didn't work?

Eventually, cryopreservation  will probably be involved. 

Most clinics include the vitrification costs in their quotes for creating the embryos. 

Storage fees run anywhere from a few hundred dollars up to maybe $1000 per year. 

You do not have to keep your embryos forever. When your family is complete, you can discard the embryos or donate them to science or adopt them out to another family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beachalice    23
1 hour ago, TheExProphet said:

Suppose I started the egg donor program in late April and retrieved in June, signed up with an agency in July. I would like transfer to happen Oct-Nov. The eggs will have to be kept frozen no?

The eggs can be fertilized and grown into embryos before vitrification, yes. 

Again, from signing up with an agency to transfer could be as short as 4 months, but could take a year or more depending on how many surrogates are available and the timing for the screening process. 

What if your first transfer turns out to be a blighted ovum (embryo attaches and grows an amniotic sac, but no baby) and it takes a few months to be able to transfer again?   Would you be okay if it took until 2020 before you have a baby in your arms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mikey112    3
15 hours ago, TheExProphet said:

That makes a lot of sense. Seems like your time line was fairly reasonable. How much did you pay to keep the embryo's frozen all of that time?

Would I not have to pay for them to be stored and froze however? Suppose I started the egg donor program in late April and retrieved in June, signed up with an agency in July. I would like transfer to happen Oct-Nov. The eggs will have to be kept frozen no?

Again, this was just my specific IVF clinic but as part of the full IVF fee,  they include the actual process of freezing as well as a full year for the embryos in frozen storage.  After that first year we can opt to pay $750 to keep them frozen another year or if we decide we no longer need/want them, we can opt to donate them to science or have them destroyed.  I know it sounds like a lot of money but in the grand scheme of the process as a whole, it really amounts to very little.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Julius72    0

Hy

what I recommend, as has already been said, is to go immediately with the research of the egg donor and freeze embryos. It is an easy process downhill and does not take into account the many variables in surrogacy.
The stipulation of the contract with the surrogate mother takes from two months to four months and not forgetting that pregnancy always takes 9 months.

I believe it is necessary first to begin and finish fertilization, then start researching and defining the surrogate mother.

For example: We started in January 2017, in mid-February we signed the contract with the agency for the egg donor. In March we signed for the surrogate mother. In June there was fertilization and confirmation of the surrogate mother after medical examinations. The contract was started in mid-June and signed at the beginning of September. The transfer is scheduled for mid-October 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the advice and input, I went with everyone's advice and started the egg donation process. I choose my donor and now just have to wait for my agency to check their availability. My question now is how long does the process of an waiting for an egg donor to be available, approved and on board with the process take? I've been waiting for 5 days now and the anxiety is driving me crazy. I keep thinking of all the wrongs going in my favor.

Does anyone have any insight on how long this process generally takes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beachalice    23

That would be an excellent question for your agency. How much screening do they do prior to matching and how long does the process take after matching? 

Most clinics require a 6 month break between donations. So if your chosen donor has recently had an egg retrieval, there will be a short wait until she can begin medical stimulation. 

You might also want to ask how long the contract process with your agency generally takes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now