amandaj001

Gestational Carrier PSYCH Evaluation

amandaj001    0

Hello. I have some questions about the psych evaluation phase. My husband and I are using my sister-in-law as our GC. She recently had a psych evaluation and some of the things she has told me seem a bit off about this psychologist. Maybe someone could clear these things up for me and her. Her and her husband went the the psychologist. Our GC was asked to take the MMPI and another test which requires you to put (yes, no, sometimes). Here are our concerns:

1. Psychologist sat and watched her take both tests 

2. Psychologist told SIL that she can't pick "sometimes" that she has to pick yes or no

3. When my SIL selected an answer the psychologist would say "well now let's think about this one again. Maybe let's think a little harder"

4. The psychologist was against family surrogacy from the get go

5. She made SIL come back for a 2nd day.

6. SIL said that at the office the psychologist was very praising of her being a surrogate. 

Fast forward 3 weeks and the psychologist has sent a report to my RE and not in my SIL's favor. None of us know what the report says except my RE and he won't tell us anything. My SIL is perfectly sane and has taken the MMPI for her job not to long ago. Does any of this make sense? Our RE has said we can get a second opinion but we are livid that none of this seems to be protocol for a psych eval. 

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
traci72    202
15 hours ago, amandaj001 said:

Hello. I have some questions about the psych evaluation phase. My husband and I are using my sister-in-law as our GC. She recently had a psych evaluation and some of the things she has told me seem a bit off about this psychologist. Maybe someone could clear these things up for me and her. Her and her husband went the the psychologist. Our GC was asked to take the MMPI and another test which requires you to put (yes, no, sometimes). Here are our concerns:

1. Psychologist sat and watched her take both tests I don't think I've ever heard of this happening before. Def. not a common occurrence.

2. Psychologist told SIL that she can't pick "sometimes" that she has to pick yes or no  I could give #1 a pass, but this? This is beyond a red flag. If "sometimes" is an optional answer, then she can choose it.

3. When my SIL selected an answer the psychologist would say "well now let's think about this one again. Maybe let's think a little harder"  Um, she SHOULD have gotten up and walked out of there at this point. There is no right/wrong answer when doing the MMPI-2, so it's not "let's think a little harder". Each answer is unique to the person answering it and they should answer honestly. No coaching or suggestions EVER.

4. The psychologist was against family surrogacy from the get go  You are actually contradicting yourself between this one and #6. Either she supports surrogacy or she doesn't. If she supports it, then one would assume that she's only against a family member being a surrogate for another family member. If that's the case, then it wouldn't make sense for her to "praise" your SIL at any point. 

5. She made SIL come back for a 2nd day.  Did your SIL say why she was asked to come back? While everything is typically done at once, I suppose there could be a couple of reasons on why they'd make her come back.

6. SIL said that at the office the psychologist was very praising of her being a surrogate. 

Fast forward 3 weeks and the psychologist has sent a report to my RE and not in my SIL's favor. None of us know what the report says except my RE and he won't tell us anything. My SIL is perfectly sane and has taken the MMPI for her job not to long ago. Does any of this make sense? Our RE has said we can get a second opinion but we are livid that none of this seems to be protocol for a psych eval. 

Honestly, it sounds like this psych does NOT specialize in 3rd party reproduction or she has her own agenda that she is following. No matter though, I would seriously look at talking w/a different psych and making 1000% certain that they are familiar and versed in 3rd party reproduction.

amandaj001    0

I should’ve corrected. The psychologist at different parts said she didnt like family surrogacy at the beginning of the psych eval to praising her for wanting to be a surrogate at the end of the testing. Completely confusing. We are going to seek a second opinion. Thx! 

beachalice    23

:welcome: 

I agree with Traci that this doesn't sound right. 

Is there a different psychologist that your RE routinely works with?  Or can you get a reference from another clinic or maybe surrogacy agency in the area?

amandaj001    0

This psychologist wasn’t referred from RE BC GC is in a different state. We did contact our lawyer in the state where gc is and she have us a good recommendation and has us set up for Sunday. It’s just annoying that we paid the first psychologist $800 and now we have to pay again to another psychologist. So annoying. 

amandaj001    0

**UPDATE** SIL saw another psychologist referred to us by our lawyer and the new psychologist has said there is nothing wrong with SIL. He would be happy to recommend her to be a surrogate. 

traci72    202

This is WONDERFUL news!!!! So glad to see this update!!

:stars::woofreakinhoo:

itsonlyk    65

Glad to hear this update for you - what a shame you had to throw away $800 in an already expensive process.  Wishing you the best moving forward!

traci72    202

***Surrogate360*** You post was not approved as #1 it had zero to do w/this thread, #2 it was not helpful in anyway, shape or form and #3 was pretty insulting to the OP of this thread and those that have responded. In the few posts that you have had, they have either had to be deleted or edited in general and your 'reputation' is not good. For someone that is attempting to run an agency, you are doing very poorly on this board. Based on what I've seen, I have a LOT of concern for any IP's or surrogates that sign up w/you. I am strongly suggesting to you, that you actually READ a post and the responses before you decide to post again and THINK before you hit enter. If you continue to try and post things that are similar to what I have stated in this reply, you will be removed from this site.