Sign in to follow this  
Horri13

New IPs with surrogate in North California

Horri13    0

Hi!

We are IPs living in North California looking for information. We are new in the field although we have been reading about GS for a few months. We would be extremely glad if someone could give us advice because we are a bit lost and overwhelmed. This is our particular situation:

- We have a surrogate (good friend). She is not low income, had a baby and is not looking for economic compensation. She would need health insurance covering GS.

- We (IPs) have Kaiser permanente. They should cover our expenses at 50%, according to the information that they give us. We would need an egg donor.

- Given that we have a surrogate, we would like to skip the agency. We don't have legal firm yet.

- We are currently trying to figure out our (IPs) expenses to put some money in our FSA.

Some questions that we have:

- Would it be recommended to get a Kaiser insurance for the surrogate, explicitly saying that it's for GS, given that we have Kaiser? Is this even possible? We have read some issues with Kaiser but when the surrogate already had the insurance with them. Not sure if it's the same situation.

- Would it be recommended to use Kaiser as a "fertility clinic" and do everything there?

- We have read that some fertility clinics offer legal services and screenings needed for GS. Is it better to look for independent providers?

We would really appreciate if someone can suggest some steps to follow and point to information that could be useful for us.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
traci72    202
52 minutes ago, Horri13 said:

Hi!

We are IPs living in North California looking for information. We are new in the field although we have been reading about GS for a few months. We would be extremely glad if someone could give us advice because we are a bit lost and overwhelmed. This is our particular situation:

- We have a surrogate (good friend). She is not low income, had a baby and is not looking for economic compensation. She would need health insurance covering GS. Since it is open enrollment right now, you have until Dec. 15 to get a policy for her. There is ONE (1) policy available in NC that will cover a surrogate pg. You need to contact ArcLight or ArtRisk to get policy information.

- We (IPs) have Kaiser permanente. They should cover our expenses at 50%, according to the information that they give us. We would need an egg donor.  Make 100% certain they will cover fertility treatments for you. It's not very common. It would ONLY cover fertility treatments that you directly are receiving...anything that is physically done to either of you, but will not cover any treatments/IVF to your surrogate.

- Given that we have a surrogate, we would like to skip the agency. We don't have legal firm yet.  You def. don't need to use an agency, but be prepared to do a LOT of the legwork and a ton more research as you go along. Check the AARTA website for attorneys. You will need 2 attorneys...one for you and one for your surrogate. Of all the things, this is NOT the place to skimp on.

- We are currently trying to figure out our (IPs) expenses to put some money in our FSA.

Some questions that we have:

- Would it be recommended to get a Kaiser insurance for the surrogate, explicitly saying that it's for GS, given that we have Kaiser? Is this even possible? We have read some issues with Kaiser but when the surrogate already had the insurance with them. Not sure if it's the same situation.  #1, DO NOT USE KAISER FOR SURROGATE INSURANCE!! #2, thankfully Kaiser is not an option for you in NC, assuming that she lives there too. Kaiser WILL put a lien on the contract, even w/no comp, if they don't "believe"  she's not actually getting comp. It is not a surrogate friendly policy in general. 

- Would it be recommended to use Kaiser as a "fertility clinic" and do everything there?  You can use what ever clinic you want. All IVF meds and procedures for or done to your surrogate will be out of pocket to you, so it could be helpful to check out several clinics to see who might have a better cost.

- We have read that some fertility clinics offer legal services and screenings needed for GS. Is it better to look for independent providers?  Many clinics offer in-house psych evals and med screenings (psych evals for all parties, med screening at least for the surrogate) and may offer a "pkg deal". As far as legal, again, you both need separate counsel for contracts, but you only need 1 attorney for the parentage proceedings, whether a PBO (prebirth order) or post-birth proceedings. You both need attorneys that are specifically versed and experienced in 3rd party reproduction law. 

We would really appreciate if someone can suggest some steps to follow and point to information that could be useful for us.

Thanks in advance!

traci72    202

Sorry!! I totally read that as "North Carolina"....so scratch that about only having 1 policy available. California has TWO (2) policies that are surrogate friendly, though I do not remember if they said both policies cover the entire state or if they are regional. There are also TWO (2) policies available that hold liens against the surrogates contract, which is what I mentioned about Kaiser above. ArcLight is the company that my agency works w/as far as finding policies for our surrogates and they are amazing! (they've been holding multiple webinars for us, going over the new changes for the 2018 plan year) ArtRisk is the other company that specializes in helping find policies. 

Horri13    0

Thanks, traci72!

Truly useful information! We will take your advice into account. Two more questions:

1. The enrollment in the health insurance needs to happen before Dec 15? There is no way to enroll passed that date? (We are not extremely familiar with the US health system).

2. I contacted ArtRisk and ArtLight. Do you remember the insurance companies offering these two friendly policies in California? We are having some seminars these weeks at work with some insurance companies and maybe I could ask them directly.

Thanks!

beachalice    23

I don’t have anything to add to Traci’s expert advice. Just wanted to say :hi: and wish you well. You’re so close!

traci72    202

They never specifically mentioned the names of the policies. They discussed each individual state w/how many friendly policies there were, how many had liens on them, how many policies did NOT cover a surrogate pg, how many pulled out of the marketplace, how many had ambiguous wording and how many (if any) they were still waiting to hear back from w/policy booklets so they could review those.

Horri13    0

Thanks you both for your support and advice!

I heard back from ArtRisk and ArtLight and they both told me that the enrollment period is until Jan 31st in California. That's interesting because we have some more time. We are going to investigate United Healthcare, Blue Shield, Anthem and Cigna.

We also read that the agency and lawyers don't need to be close from home since everything can be done remotely. Is there any benefit from having them close? Of course, the lawyer should, at least, be from your state but other than that...

We are also investigating fertility services. Let's see what we find.

Thanks!

traci72    202

Everything that is done w/the attorneys can be done remotely via email, phone calls, texts, etc. You want to make sure that they are experienced in 3rd party reproduction, the contract needs to be based in the state that the baby will be delivered in and the attorney needs to be licensed to practice in that state. Other than that, look for one that fits your budget and you feel is on the same page as you/that you feel comfortable with.

Horri13    0

Thank you very much, Traci! We already have quite a few options for the lawyer!

Today, we started to ask about the egg donor and IVF cost and we are a bit shocked. Initial numbers (from Kaiser) are 40k for the egg donation and 20k for one IVF cycle. We've seen half of these numbers online in North California, but now we are not sure if numbers online include everything or will have extra fees. Could there be such a different depending on the clinic? Wow!

traci72    202

:blink::omg::itsnotfair:

Holy Hannah!! That's freaking CRAZY!!! I've seen people comment that the transfer part was around $12-15K, but I never knew if that included the ER as well or not. I've seen IP's that I know that have gone indy and had a range from $40-100+K for everything, so I KNOW there are ways to save costs. I'm thinking that Kaiser just sucks all around for IVF and surrogacy. That right there just ties your hands if it wouldn't work the 1st time. Just insane!!

beachalice    23

I would check with actual clinics on costs.  Kaiser's numbers may be inflated to the max they're willing to cover, or they're trying to inflate the costs so that if the cover anything it makes you feel like you're getting a good deal.  

I sure hope they're wrong!