Sign in to follow this  
Baby Miracles

Does anyone know why.....

Hi all!

So a little update! I was matched Dec. 4th, met the IPs via Skype December 12th, they purchased my insurance on the 15th, waited for them to finish up some paperwork and today I scheduled my psych eval for Jan 4th and my medical screening January 15th. It seems everything is happening so fast! I know every agency is different and I see most people do their legal before this, but I guess this agency does it opposite. Anyways, I live in Houston and the clinic is in Los Angeles. I will be flying and I asked if I could fly out at night and do my appointment the next day then come home but they insisted they only do same day flights. So I will be flying there and back the same day. Fortunately it's only a 3 hour flight, so 6 hours total for the day but I wonder why this is? Is it so you don't have a paid for vacation or something that they don't want me staying more than that same day? lol. I am from there and my parents still live there so I was hoping to have some down time at least overnight but oh well. I just was wondering the reason, and I'm not going to question the agency about it because it's not that serious.

Next, for you personally, how long did it take from the time of getting psychologically and medically cleared, to an actual transfer. I know I will get a calendar and meds and all of that but I would like to know how long it was for each of you personally. I am wondering if since this all has happened in less than a month, if I will be transferring possibly in February if I am cleared in Jan. IPs said they want everything done ASAP so I am thinking it would be possible :) Fingers crossed for a 2018 baby!

Happy almost New Year ladies!:fireworks:

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
traci72    202

Screening- the original agency I was w/did psych evals BEFORE ever presenting a surrogate's profile to IP's. I 1000000000% agree w/this in that you, the agency and the IP's know that you are mentally sound and clear to be moving forward. This was one of the biggest reasons I went w/that particular agency. For me, I did NOT want to be matched w/IP's, start building a relationship, only to get to the psych and not be cleared. (I didn't actually think that I wouldn't pass, but sometimes you just never know) They are then out that $$ and have started to become more emotionally involved and would then have to start back over. For some, it's not an "agency" thing, but rather a clinic/RE thing. While still w/the same agency, one of the sets of IP's I was working w/was using a different clinic that wanted the psych eval done in-house, which meant that I was matched already and contracts done. They did the psych and med screening in a marathon day, which was fine, but had there been a reason why I wasn't approved w/them, then my IP's just paid all that $$ for contracts, flying me out, the screening, etc, and just had to start over from scratch. I wasn't terribly keen on that at all, and had I been a 1st time surrogate, I think I would have been way more concerned. 

Not every RE demands to have a saline sono, hysteroscopy, etc. done. My original RE NEVER did any of that...only the FDA labs and those had to be w/in 6mos of cycing. I had 3 successful surrogacies w/this RE and not once did I have anything more than blood work. I've heard different reasoning for having it done from looking for uterine abnormalities to "mapping" the uterus to making sure there is a good path between the cervix and where the RE prefers to try and release the embryo/s. 

As for the travelling part....in all honesty, they are trying to keep expenses as cheap as they possibly can. It will cost the IP's significantly less to fly you in early morning, car service from airport to clinic back to the airport and maybe 2 meals for the day vs fly you in, car service from airport to hotel, hotel stay, 1-2 meals that day, car service from hotel to clinic, 2-3 meals that day, car service from clinic to airport. Plus if there are lost wages for 1 day vs 2 days, overnight parking at your home airport (unless someone dropped you off and is picking you up), etc. When I was working w/2 different US clinics for my last couple of journeys, because of commitments and priorities between my own jobs, kids, kids activities and DH's schedule, flying out and back on the same day were not feasible for me. I had to go out the day before and fly home after all screening was done, so it was about 1 1/2days total. Sometimes you, as the surrogate, don't have a choice and the agency will have to suck it up and deal w/it. You will be inconvenienced enough when it comes to surrogacy, but it should not be such a huge deal for something like screening. If there is a reason why you really need to go the day before, they should be accomodating when possible.

You will not get a protocol until the RE has legal clearance for you. Period. I have a surrogate right now that we just want to get BCP's for her now, so that once contracts are done, they can get moving quickly. The RE absolutely will not even consider it. Depending on how long it takes to get full clearance (medical/psych) and then contracts finalized, it could be 6-8wks (depending on the RE's protocol) or even longer. If everything went absolutely perfectly and quickly, Feb. could be a possibility, but more realistically I would just think March. I had one RE whose FET protocol was just as long as his fresh protocol (7wks!!) and he still wanted to use BCP's to manipulate my cycle, so by the time contracts were done, psych and med clearance, it was somewhere between 12-14wks before we got to that transfer. The last RE I was working w/has a short FET protocol (3-3 1/2wks) it was maybe 7-9wks from clearance to transfer. 

You’re amazing ! Thank you for your long and thorough reply—you answered it all for me ! Happy New Year !

Edited by Baby Miracles