Hello =) I am new to the surrogacy process and am very excited about it. I am 28 and have two kids. I am married and we are finished having children as my tubes are tied. I am ready for the GS process and have talked with one agency (Growing Generations). I am having a hard time finding reviews. The girl who initially called me was so kind. Is there anything negative about them? I always have a fear of being scammed or something of the sort. Any information will help. Thanks!

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
traci72    202

There are both good and bad reviews on GG from both IP's and surrogates. They were one of the agencies I researched when I 1st started in 2006 and had a fair bit of communication with. Initially I was turned off of them because the person I had been communicating w/at that time, told me that I would have to send them a "deposit" that they would hold until I was in a successful program w/contracts and a transfer done. Once I got to that point, they would return this money to me. If I did not pass screening, evals or match and move forward successfully, I was told that this would then cover those expenses paid on my behalf. I had never heard of this ever and it really bothered me, so I moved on. (I do not believe that they still do this, and I will concede that it could have been coming from one or 2 of their employees, but it did reflect on the whole agency to me) I took them off my list and ended up finding the perfect agency for me. While I was in the middle of my 1st surrogacy, an IP friend (who is a member here, though doesn't visit the site any more) and his GS had gone through GG and got screwed horribly. GG kept the IP's $$, the money that was supposed to be in escrow covering the GS's comp and bills, etc, and dropped them unceremoniously. There was no explanation, just a terse ending and the IP lost a good amt of money. Over the years I have seen other surrogates and IP's have various issues and problems w/this agency, but there are also a good number that are happy w/their experiences. They ARE one of the most expensive agencies for IP's, which is in part because of the "benefits pkg" that is given to their surrogates. It all comes out of the IP's pockets and not the agency, but when you charge your IP's a butt ton of money, it's easy to pass it off as bonuses from the agency.

My own personal feelings about them aside, it doesn't matter if it's this agency or any other agency, you need to find the right fit for you and your needs. Not every agency is going to be a good or the right fit for you. I always encourage surrogates to look at multiple agencies to find the right fit vs the 1st agency they can find that will take them. This is a huge endeavor and you want to make sure you have the right agency supporting you and having your back.

Ok thank you so much! It’s hard to find info from others, as many of the posts are from years ago. Do you have any advice on things I should look out for or be wary of when researching and possibly setting up appointments? @traci72

traci72    202

If you Google "growing generations reviews", there should be some that come up. On FB there is an agency review group (you request to join and I believe you have to PM one of the admins before they will approve you) and some should come up if you use the search function on here. 

Some things that were important for me....when is screening done (NOT the med screening done by an RE, as those are more time sensitive, but psych evals, OB review, background checks, etc), before or after matching? (this was a BIG one for me at the time) How are things such as travel for any testing and/or the transfer...hotel, flights, car service, meals, etc? How involved will the agency be? If I need more or less "hand holding", to they adjust their role to meet this? How are conflicts handled if there is a concern w/the IP? What if I'm having an issue w/my coordinator? How are payments, comp or reimbursements, handled? Do they have a separate escrow company handling the money? How do they handle attorneys for me? What if I need help scheduling appts or billing for surrogacy related appts? 

I started out asking for agency names and had a list of about 15+ agencies. I started researching each one and making notes about things I liked/didn't like, based off of their websites as well as from comments of others that had used those agencies. That helped me narrow it down to about 6 or so. Once I had that list, I started emailing them w/my list of questions and noted how long it took to get a response, the tone of the emails and compared the answers w/each of the agencies. That helped me narrow it down to about 3 agencies, at which time I actually called them. I got down to 2 and in the end, their screening process was what helped me make my final decision and applied w/them. It ended up being the perfect agency match for me at that time!