Hey ya'll! I'm new to the surrogacy but looking forward to everything. We've found a match for IP's, completed all medical testing, and are currently waiting on agency to set up the legal side. 

What are somethings I should be sure to have in my contract as a surrogate? 

Any specific things the seasoned ladies on here didn't do their rookie year? 

Thanks for any help!

Advertisers are how we pay the bills to keep the forums going.
Say thanks by clicking a banner from time to time!
jessa4140    44

One thing I'll do next time is add a retainer fee. My journey ended up taking almost 3 years. That was 3 years of not traveling for vacations, 3 years where I wasn't really able to even get a new job for fear that at any month I'd have to start taking tons of time off for appts. We were doing a fresh transfer but had issues getting the eggs to survive fertilization. So I was basically on call for 3 years. 

Make sure your stance on termination and medical procedures is extensively written out. Hopefully everything goes smoothly, but in the case that it doesn't, that stuff needs to be crystal clear.

Congrats on getting to this point, its so exciting!

traci72    202

You can read through this forum and find a LOT of thoughts and suggestions. I've learned a lot from my 1st surrogacy to my last and have tweaked things here and there. Some for me have been changing the payment structure (1st time it was trimester payments, after that it was equal monthly payments), changing when a multiples fee was started to be paid out (late 2nd tri or 3rd tri is not acceptable to me), making sure that 'child care' was NOT limited to only a licensed provider/daycare facility/etc. (both my mom and DS#1 have had to step up, and I wanted to make sure that any family/friend that provided any care could be reimbursed) and that there were no caps on my lost wages, in the event of bedrest. I was specific as to how far along I might be that I would agree to termination and under what conditions I would have one. After having carried twins, I made sure my contracts reflected that I would only do a SET also. 

Travel restrictions is another. Some are severely limited earlier on in the pg and have to travel for their job, so they get screwed. I live in a boarder town, as do my parents in the state next to mine. The closest hospital in my state from my parents is 30mins (less w/lights and sirens), so my contract stated that I couldn't travel beyond where they live after 'x' number of weeks, but because it was so close, the limit was like 36wks I believe. Some will state you can't go more than 70mi from the hospital you'll be delivering at, or some variation of that. This IS important because of the legal and financial implications for the IP's and their legal parentage of their own child. 

Food is another. Some IP's request very strict dietary restrictions of their surrogate, others are more liberal and trust the surrogate. Make sure that you understand their expectations when you are matching and read over the contract very closely. There will always be restrictions on amt of caffeine, often fish, sushi, etc, but it is not unheard of to see some pretty crazy things listed to either avoid or that they want the surrogate to eat. (nationality can also play a big part in dietary demands) 

Thanks for tips. I definitely don't want to be tied down to my home. My IP'S are pretty good so far but they are from China. They moved to the US several years ago so I will definitely keep  eye out for food restrictions.

The payment is setup monthly. 

What is the retainer fee for? 

I'll be sure to read everything extensively & ask questions.  Thanks again!

traci72    202

A retainer fee is not something that's common to see, but it can serve a couple of purposes. If you are just matching but the IP's need time to move forward, it is an incentive to wait until they are able to move forward. Sometimes it's to find a new ED, maybe create more embryos, they could be moving/new jobs/etc and need to get settled, there could be a family event/death that they need to hold off temporarily. If you're matched and have already done a transfer, it could be that they need to create more embryos, or maybe one was laid off/lost their job and have to get finances back in order. Typically the monthly allowance would cover this type of delay, but it could be changed and referred to as a retainer fee maybe.