Help with allowable expenses

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 prairiemom

prairiemom

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

It seems that the definition of expenses is a huge grey area. The number I have been given is around $20-$25,000 for pregnancy related expenses. Can anyone elaborate on what is allowed? I have seen groceries mentioned - but do I have to divide my grocery bill up by the number of people in my family? And do I need to track kilometres going to appointments for gas reimbursement, or just keep the gas receipt? I just want to make sure I'm tracking all of this correctly.

Say thanks for the support and click on a banner ad!

#2 traci72

traci72

new adventures on the horizon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,880 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hopefully our "resident" Canadian expert will pop on soon and reply. I know that there are ways to deal w/the expenses, but it's so much different there than here in the US. I would certainly hate for a US surro to try and offer advice that may cause potential issues...I'll go see if I can give her a nudge over this way. LOL!

BTW, WELCOME to AAS!!

#3 prairiemom

prairiemom

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hopefully our "resident" Canadian expert will pop on soon and reply. I know that there are ways to deal w/the expenses, but it's so much different there than here in the US. I would certainly hate for a US surro to try and offer advice that may cause potential issues...I'll go see if I can give her a nudge over this way. LOL!

BTW, WELCOME to AAS!!

Thank-you so much!

#4 jennkelly72

jennkelly72

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

hi Prairiemom !

allowable expenses are a pain, aren't they ?? i've often wished the gov't would get their stuff together and make us a LIST already !! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

that said, it seems that based on most recent contract info that i have heard, we do not need to itemize grocery bills or gas receipts, just hang on to them. mileage calculations are made easily enough (thanks to sites like mapquest, etc, you can ascertain your travelled kms easily) if the need to prove them should arise.

same thing with rent (i was AMAZED to hear that this was considered allowable in newer contracts...we have to pay for housing pregnant or not, but hey, that doesn;t seem to be an issue :theeye: )

the most recent "deal" seems to be this: keep receipts for everything, just in case....and if the family courts ever wanted to see them, you'd have something to offer.

i wish i could offer more info, or be more specific, but surrogacy "laws" have been in such a weird state here, for so long. we have an Act, with no legislative body overseeing it, only parts of it have been enacted, it's VERY open to "interpretation", hasn't been tested in the family or criminal court system, and various elements of it have been successfully challenged as Unconstitutional.

**sigh** the rollercoaster ride of Canadian surrogacy just keeps going on and on.... :rolleyes:

#5 prairiemom

prairiemom

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

hi Prairiemom !

allowable expenses are a pain, aren't they ?? i've often wished the gov't would get their stuff together and make us a LIST already !! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

that said, it seems that based on most recent contract info that i have heard, we do not need to itemize grocery bills or gas receipts, just hang on to them. mileage calculations are made easily enough (thanks to sites like mapquest, etc, you can ascertain your travelled kms easily) if the need to prove them should arise.

same thing with rent (i was AMAZED to hear that this was considered allowable in newer contracts...we have to pay for housing pregnant or not, but hey, that doesn;t seem to be an issue :theeye: )

the most recent "deal" seems to be this: keep receipts for everything, just in case....and if the family courts ever wanted to see them, you'd have something to offer.

i wish i could offer more info, or be more specific, but surrogacy "laws" have been in such a weird state here, for so long. we have an Act, with no legislative body overseeing it, only parts of it have been enacted, it's VERY open to "interpretation", hasn't been tested in the family or criminal court system, and various elements of it have been successfully challenged as Unconstitutional.

**sigh** the rollercoaster ride of Canadian surrogacy just keeps going on and on.... :rolleyes:

It is definitely frustrating. And I know that right now nobody is checking out any of this, but who knows if 5 years from now they are going to be back tracking and looking at receipts.

There are things like the air conditioning in my van is broken - the IP's want to pay me to fix that because it's uncomfortable to drive around in 30 degree heat while pregnant without A/C, but who knows if that's something that could be challenged.

I'm trying not to be too paranoid about it.

#6 wgf

wgf

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

hi Prairiemom !

We have to pay our surrogate's rent???

Are you serious?

Sorry, but they'd be renting pregnant or not.. it's not like they take up an extra room or something when pregnant.

All this tap dancing around not getting paid, but here they are allowing payment of rent?

Why not just call a spade a spade?

If you are paying a surrogate's rent, you are hiring them for their work. Why not just admit it.

I understand Canada does not want surrogacy becoming a business, but if Canadian Law is going to allow a surrogate to charge intended parents for her rent you may as well just call a spade a spade at that point.

Edited by wgf, 08 September 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#7 CanadianSurro

CanadianSurro

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

New to the group but...rent and/or mortgage is not an allowable expense. At least not from us surros on the West Coast of Canada. I would feel uncomfortable using my mortgage as an expense for surrogacy.

#8 Marie83

Marie83

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

I know this is super old but I'm in contract stages as a Canadian GS and could really use some help with an expense breakdown it's so confusing and I don't want to have to be losing money

#9 beachalice

beachalice

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:06 PM

Are you using an agency and two Canadian attorneys familiar with surrogacy?

#10 Marie83

Marie83

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

We are using an experienced surrogacy lawyer. I just am trying to figure out a general idea of how it goes. I have seen some situations where women have to fight for extra money for pizza because they are exhausted. I just want to know my expenses are laid out properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users