pregnancy less than 30/26 weeks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Melissad84

Melissad84

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:46 AM

I am in the draft phase of my contract and it says that I will get a monthly payment and within 3 days of delivery I will receive the final balance amount if I carry the pregnancy beyond the end of the 30th week for a single or 26 weeks for a multiple.  So if I only carry lets say 29 weeks for a single I would only get paid what I had mad thus far and no final payment for the remainder.  That is the difference of almost $7000.00.  Is this normal?  What is a good amount of weeks to put on the pregnancy?  Could I put a stipulation on if the child is alive at time of birth that I would get the remainder dispite the amount of weeks carried? 

Say thanks for the support and click on a banner ad!

#2 GSinIN

GSinIN

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

Yes, it is normal.  However, my contract states that remainder of comp will be due when baby is released to well baby unit(or home).  So you can absolutely ask for whatever you like while still in contract stage.  My weeks are listed as 32 and 30 so yours being 30 and 26 is actually more beneficial to you as the surro.  I will play devils advocate here and say that most surrogates(myself included) would feel awful about accepting comp for a baby that is no longer living.  Can you imagine being the IPs paying?  What a burden and awful reminder of what they are not bringing home.  

#3 MommaChaos

MommaChaos

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

I agree - this is standard in all contracts.  The dates are actually very much in your favor. I believe mine is 34 weeks singleton & 30 weeks twins.

#4 Mama-C

Mama-C

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

Hi! I agree that these delivery dates are definitely in your favor, so I wouldn't dispute those. 

Getting paid the balance fees if the baby did not live seems counter-intuitive. It would be devastating to all involved, and I can't imagine asking the IPs to pay me any more if that was the outcome. However, if the baby is born early, but survives... yes... I would think it reasonable to be paid in full.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users