Photo

Getting taken off meds at 8 weeks gestation.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GC3

GC3

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

Hi ladies! I hope I'm doing this right. It's my 1st time posting on here. Traci has been super nice and helpful, putting me more at ease, but I wonder if any of you, gestational surros, have been taken off your meds at 8 weeks. I was on Lupron, so I did not release an egg (I was told some surros are now kept off the Lupron so that they'll ovulate prior to the transfer, and therefore get taken off meds sooner) and I'm being told to discontinue meds (PIO and Estrace) at 8 weeks. My levels have not been checked once since the transfer and they will not be checked after I am taken off the meds. I am very nervous about this protocol, even though I was told new studies reveal that embies begin to produce enough hormones to sustain the pregnancy once they have a heartbeat. Any success stories out there? Thank you kindly!

Say thanks for the support and click on a banner ad!

#2 Babz

Babz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

I have never weaned that early, but that doesn't make it wrong. I think I remember one other surrogate who weaned early-ish. Maybe 8 or 9 weeks?

#3 GC3

GC3

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

I have never weaned that early, but that doesn't make it wrong. I think I remember one other surrogate who weaned early-ish. Maybe 8 or 9 weeks?

Thank you kindly, Babz! I hope at least 1 lady will be able to share their success story with me! I'm SO nervous!

#4 beachalice

beachalice

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

:welcome:

I'm being told to discontinue meds (PIO and Estrace) at 8 weeks. 

8 weeks = 5  weeks after transfer or 8 weeks after transfer?

#5 GC3

GC3

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

:welcome:

I'm being told to discontinue meds (PIO and Estrace) at 8 weeks. 

8 weeks = 5  weeks after transfer or 8 weeks after transfer?

Hi there!Thanks so much for the welcome! I'm sorry I wasn't very clear in my post! My RE takes all his patients off meds at 8 weeks gestation, so basically only 5 weeks post transfer. My transfer was on 2/7 (a 6 day embie). I've come by other ladies who say they stopped at 8 weeks, but I'm thinking they meant 8 weeks post transfer... Two ladies told me they stopped at 8 weeks, but they were with different clinics than mine. When I emailed their clinics, I was told they don't take surros off meds until 10 weeks! If only I could by a success story!!!!!! I'm SOOOOO nervous!!!!!!

#6 beachalice

beachalice

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

I would, personally, clarify with the RE to be sure you understood correctly thus giving them a chance to verify the dates.

I think there is some confusion in the IVF world as most IVF patients have fertility issues - including low natural progesterone. If you naturally respond to progesterone appropriately, low progesterone isn't a concern.

I think (but don't quote me on this as I haven't verified with a reputable source) that the luteal-placenta shift occurs at about 8 weeks. It would seem this is the case from the several cases of stopped progesterone at 8 weeks gestational age. In a natural conception, the corpus luteum continues to make progesterone until about 12 weeks. But that does not mean the placenta isnt working.

I imagine your IPs could request for your progesterone levels to be monitored to give them peace of mind through the rest of 1st trimester.

:sticky-vibes:

Edited by beachalice, 07 March 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#7 GSinIN

GSinIN

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

That's too early for me.  I would request to stay on until 10 weeks at minimum.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users