• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jennieb1

jennieb1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Hi everyone...looking for some tips. I had twins on monday....milk came in yesterday. My breasts are huge!!! On friday i started putting cabbage leaves and ice packs (separate times) on breasts....what else can i do? How long will they be engorged? Literally 5 times the size.....LOL

Say thanks for the support and click on a banner ad!

#2 traci72

traci72

new adventures on the horizon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,915 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Ibuprofen, Sudafed and there's a tea, but the name is escaping me right now. Also, moderate binding can help....I wore tighter fitting sports bras w/the cabbage leaves on the skin and flexible ice packs on top of the leaves.

#3 jennieb1

jennieb1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Thanks traci...doing most of that....hopefully it will only last a few days...

#4 jessa4140

jessa4140

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

I don't know if you're pumping or anything but when I weaned both my kids I of course got incredibly engorged. I would nurse (you could pump or hand expel) just enough so they weren't rock hard and I got some relief. Then leave the milk in there. That way you're sending the message to your body that it's producing too much milk and it should start to slow the production until it eventually stops. It honestly didn't take too long with my kids but that was after a year of nursing. Might be different right away but at least you'd be more comfortable while you're waiting!

#5 jennieb1

jennieb1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

Hi Jessa....no not pumping or anything...nor do i want to start. Thanks for advice though...

#6 Mama-C

Mama-C

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

Jennie, you can try standing in the shower with the warm water hitting your breasts, and just letting the milk leak out. It's not so stimulating that your body thinks it needs to produce more, but can get you a little relief.

I think you're on the right track with binding, cabbage leaves, and ice packs. :) Here's a list of things that can inhibit milk production as well:

lemon balm
oregano
parsley
peppermint
sage
spearmint
thyme
rhubarb
star anise
BCP's
Sudafed

#7 jessa4140

jessa4140

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

I kind of figured from your post. The way I described is actually how I STOPPED producing. Just letting out enough to feel less pain, not emptying, that way your body naturally gets the hint that it's making way too much. I hope you're feeling more comfortable today!

#8 jennieb1

jennieb1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:02 AM

Hi everyone: Update....my breasts are back to normal. No longer engorged. It took 5 days of constantly using cabbage and ice packs. Figured i would share in case anyone else is in a similiar situation.

#9 mama_moon

mama_moon

GSx2

• PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:28 AM

Good to hear you're back to "normal" :)

Since I'm pumping, I haven't had to figure this one out.

I hope you are healing well!

#10 mama_moon

mama_moon

GSx2

• PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

I know this is an older post, but I thought I would add to this one instead of starting a new one.

I'm trying to stop my milk before I go back to work next Wednesday. I haven't breastfed or emptied by pumping since Monday. In Oregon, they don't sell Sudafed over the counter and (one of) my OB says they don't prescribe medication anymore. The best advice her nurse gave me was to wear a tight fitting bra. My breasts still feel hard and sore. Not as hard as day 1 or 2. Currently, I'm wearing a comfortably fitting bralette, using cabbage leaves as needed, applying pressure when I feel a let down, applying peppermint essential oil, and drinking sage tea a few times a day. I did wear an ultra tight sports bra on day 2 but I'm worried about getting mastitis.

I didn't wean on pumping because it lengthens the time of weaning and I know I will not have time at work to pump.

What else should I do or consider?

#11 jewls5

jewls5

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

Yes I wore the tightest sports bra I could find plus cabbage leaves. I could not believe how big my boobs got!

#12 beachalice

beachalice

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

Are there any other decongestants available?  Many antihistamines have a decongestant in them like Allegra-D.

:(
*hugs*

#13 mama_moon

mama_moon

GSx2

• PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:21 PM

yes there are other medications. I think many of them are "safe" to take while breastfeeding so they wouldn't affect breastmilk. If someone has an alternative, please let me know.

#14 beachalice

beachalice

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:54 PM

Claritin-D and Allegra-D both have pseudoephedrine added.  They are considered a risk for decreased milk supply when nursing. 

Estrogen birth control pills also can effect milk supply. 

Did you say you're doing cool compresses?

200mg of Vitamin B6 daily for about a week helps with engorgement. I don't know if it suppresses production, but it has been recommended for engorgement. 

~hugs~

#15 mama_moon

mama_moon

GSx2

• PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:03 AM

You cannot get products with pseudophedrine over the counter in Oregon. My OB won't prescribe anything.

Not interested in birth control.

Yes on cold compresses.

Thanks for the vitamin B6 suggestion.

Edited by mama_moon, 31 December 2016 - 01:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users