Surrogacy Forum: Surrogate Mothers, Intended Parents and Egg Donors: What do you use to style your hair? - Survey Says - Surrogacy Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you use to style your hair?

#1 User is offline   momnmia 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Sr. Member

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:46 PM

Ok, so I realize that is a LOT of choices, but I am starting a new job, and must style my hair everyday. My hair is fine, but I have a ton of it, and it is down to my mid back (quite long). I want to know what most of you do, and how well you think it would hold throughout the day.

Ok, so I can't do a poll...don't think I am doing it right...

Maybe you can just tell what you do, and how well it works. I always just blow dry, no product, and then put in a ponytail. Boring, right?????

#2 User is offline   Charbearx3 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

My hair is only shoulder length....but I use moose. Volumizing. Then I blow dry. Followed by hair spray after I style it. It holds pretty well.

#3 User is offline   texsurromom 

• Just two crazy gals!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Site Supporter

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:53 PM

I have long and thick hair too :)/>

If I am doing it curly (I have naturally curly hair) and I use the Aussie Sprunch Spray and some gel to hold the shape.

If I am straightening it (which isn't too often because it takes so long!) I will use some straightening product or a little gel while it's wet and then blow dry and then use my CHI straightener. If it's already dry and I am going to straighten it then I just use a little hair spray.

I used to put my hair back every day. But once I started doing it I got compliments on it every day so I realized it made a difference and I make more of an effort to do it. If I straighten it I make it last for that day and the next day!! :)/>

Good luck!!

#4 User is offline   Hedr 

• ~Mom x3, GSx2, EDx1~
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sr. Site Supporter

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:34 PM

I just blow dry and and I'm off on my way..

#5 User is offline   brandigirl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:51 PM

I love Paul Mitchell, but I have used EVERYTHING. I am a styling product addict!!! I like the studio line by loreal also

#6 User is offline   surromama 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

I put some pomade goo in, rub it around, push this way and that, and I'm done!!
but I wear my hair extremely short because I HATE hair. I would rather wear a wig everyday. I actually shaved my head for 8mos in H.S. People said it was really cute.
Try going to a salon for a consult. She can help you learn to work with your hair type, show you techniques with a brush and product too. They are there for more than just a cut :)/>
Good luck with the new job.

#7 User is offline   IManIM 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:54 PM

Take it from someone who is over 40. Be careful using silicone. My hair tends to frizz so I started using Frizz-Ease. It worked great for a while. I would straighten my hair using my CHI. After a couple of years, my hair started to break off. I went to a new salon and they said I had to stop using the silicone ASAP and go easy on the straightening.

I am very careful with my hair now. I wash it at most twice a week. If I do straighten it, I make it last for about 4 or 5 days. Probably sounds gross but no one ever notices. I also have a ton of hair and it lands just below my shoulders. I tend to do one day just down, one day with the middle section pulled back in a barrette (like some of the celebs do), one day with a scarf folded up into a headband (tied at the nape of my neck, held in place with a couple of bobby pins) and one day with a pony tail (buy some pony tail holders that have tasteful embellishments). Then I wash again. I've gotten a lot of compliments on my scarves, which is funny because I use them to disguise dirty hair. For me, though, the "dirtier" my hair gets, the less frizzy it gets because the brush pulls the natural oils to the ends.

#8 User is offline   Shauna 

• ~Mom to a Princess~
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

I use Salon selectives.

#9 User is offline   surromama 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

Sue, a really good brush for getting the natural oils to pull through, is a Camel hair brush. You may have to go to a salon to get one, but sometimes Sally's carries nice ones.
But your words of advice are very accurate. Products with the silicone in them, cause mass amounts of damage, especially when combined with heat. Pantene and Suave are two fo the worst store shampoos for this too.

#10 User is offline   Maysbls 

• Former GS ~~ TS x1.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:56 PM

Sometimes I put my fingers through it while it is still wet. Most times I just brush it the next day. I do use a nice thick conditionare in it everytime I wash it though ~ or even my fingers wouldn't work to get through it. It has way tooo many strands and curls.

#11 User is offline   momnmia 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:14 PM

Great tips, thanks! You know, it's funny...my mom has been a hair stylist for 26 years, and she still can't do my hair in a way that I want. I finally did go to a friends salon last week and had my hair done. THe girl that did it was beautiful and young (mind you, I'm 23), and very stylish, but even she couldn't fix my hair good enough. I like big hair! Nobody can get it right for me. I think I am going to try wash, mousse, blow dry, hot rollers, then spray. Oh gosh, I feel tired just typing that. Luckily it will only be 1 or 2 times a week.

Someone mentioned shaving their head in HS. I can't count the number of cuts/style I had back then. I had shaved, shaved with bangs (not a great look), super short, short, every color of the rainbow and back. It was never, ever long enough to even pull half into a ponytail. Then I got pregnant, grew my hair long and left it my natural strawberry blonde.

#12 User is offline   IMinNY 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Member

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:41 PM

Since you have fine hair, what about cutting some long layers into it to add body? Similar to a Jennifer Aniston cut? That's so flattering on fine hair in my opinion, and fairly easy to style too since most fine hair is fairly straight.
I have nutty curly wavy hair that's impossible to control, so mine is totally different! I use Frederic Fekkai Shea Butter shampoo & conditioner, and Frederic Fekkai olive oil sheen stuff sometimes. I occasionally switch it out for this other silk stuff, but I can't remember the name of it! It smells awesome though and makes my hair incredibly silky, soft and shiny. Comes in tiny bottles--maybe it's called Farouk?

#13 User is offline   momnmia 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

View PostIMinNY, on Feb 21 2008, 02:41 PM, said:

Since you have fine hair, what about cutting some long layers into it to add body? Similar to a Jennifer Aniston cut? That's so flattering on fine hair in my opinion, and fairly easy to style too since most fine hair is fairly straight.
I have nutty curly wavy hair that's impossible to control, so mine is totally different! I use Frederic Fekkai Shea Butter shampoo & conditioner, and Frederic Fekkai olive oil sheen stuff sometimes. I occasionally switch it out for this other silk stuff, but I can't remember the name of it! It smells awesome though and makes my hair incredibly silky, soft and shiny. Comes in tiny bottles--maybe it's called Farouk?

I actually do have long layers, but it will still lay completey flat if I don't put curls in it. My hair has absolutey NO natural wave or curl, I think that's why it's so difficult to keep styled. Oh, and my face is round, so just laying straight looks silly.

#14 User is offline   MamaNan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:02 AM

Pregnancy! Really my hair got curlier with each one and now I have a head full of thick curls! I use Redken touch control 05...wash mouse and go. I hope I dont end up preggo with twins...what would that do to my hair!!??

#15 User is offline   momnmia 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

Ok, here we go. I fixed it last night for practice. Didn't wash, hairspray, hot rollers, hairspray, fluff, done. What do you think? You'll have to maximize the picture to see a little better. (don't remind me that my face looks silly, and the pic is a little blurry :rolleyes:/> )

[attachment=8235:attachment]

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Professional Sponsors | Become A Sponsor | Make a Donation | Our Friendship Fund