Military/Tricare

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Veronica

Veronica

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:41 PM

Could anyone who's done a surrogacy w/Tricare PM me? I have questions and I don't see the military forum anymore.

Thanks so much!

Say thanks for the support and click on a banner ad!

#2 Hedr

Hedr

~Mom x3, GSx2, EDx1~

• Sr. Site Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

I sent you a message.

#3 krismh5

krismh5

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

Me too please :)

#4 ShrinkChick

ShrinkChick

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hedr - do you have any resources for information regarding surrogacy and Tricare? My spouse is active-duty and we're pursuing a gestational surrogate in a few years and I'm trying to research options. Thanks in advance if you're able to help! :)

#5 Hedr

Hedr

~Mom x3, GSx2, EDx1~

• Sr. Site Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:12 AM

As of now, Tricare is NO longer covering a compensated Gestational surrogacy. They will treat the Intended parents as Other health insurance and bill them. We have had several surrogates receive letters from tricare requesting copies of their contracts, and then requesting repayment of services.

There used to be a clause in the tricare/health net federal services handbook, but as of Jan 2009 it has been removed.

https://www.hnfs.net...ernity Care.htm

What it used to say was this:

Whatís Covered

Epidural anesthesia for pain management during delivery
Medically necessary fetal ultrasounds. For additional information see TRICARE Ultrasounds.
Maternity care for surrogate mothers eligible for TRICARE benefits
TRICARE-certified/authorized birthing centers
Emergency cesarean section

As of Jan of this year it was changed to say:

Whatís Covered

Epidural anesthesia for pain management during delivery
Medically necessary fetal ultrasounds. For additional information see TRICARE Ultrasounds.
TRICARE-certified/authorized birthing centers
Emergency cesarean section

They took out the line about surrogate mothers.

There is also this:
XIV.SURROGATE ARRANGEMENTS

Contractual arrangements between a surrogate mother and adoptive parents are considered other coverage. TRICARE will cost share on the remaining balance of otherwise covered benefits related to the surrogate motherís medical expenses after the contractually agreed upon amount has been exhausted. This applies where contractual arrangements for payment include a requirement for the adoptive parents to pay all or part of the medical expenses of the surrogate mother as well as where contractual arrangements for payment do
not specifically address reimbursement for the motherís medical care. If brought to the contractorís attention, the requirements of TRICARE Operations Manual, Chapter 11, Section 5, paragraph 2.10. would apply .

2.10. Surrogate Arrangements

Contractual arrangements between a surrogate mother and adoptive parents are considered other coverage. Where the contractual arrangements do not specify an amount for reimbursement for medical expenses, the full amount of all undesignated payments shall be deemed to be for medical expenses incurred by the surrogate mother. TRICARE will cost share on the remaining balance of otherwise covered benefits related to the surrogate motherís medical expenses after the contractually agreed upon arrangement has been exhausted.

http://www.tricare.mil/to02/C11S5.PDF (top of page 3)

#6 Barbgsx1

Barbgsx1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:43 AM

I wanted to let you all know that I spoke to my attorney yesterday about this and depending on your state laws and the way your contract is written TriCare CAN'T come after you for medical expenses!!! I have seperate insurance now but won't think twice about using it until it becomes an actual exclusion in the handbook which literally takes an act of congress and was NOT passed last year!! In Oct 09 you will need to pay close attention to any bills that Missouri Congressman Ike Skelton is trying to pass, he is the original writer of the bill last year.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barb :)

#7 ShrinkChick

ShrinkChick

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

In that case, are there ANY insurance companies that cover the medical costs a GS would incur?

#8 Hedr

Hedr

~Mom x3, GSx2, EDx1~

• Sr. Site Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

You can check state by state, some Blue cross blue sheilds still cover surrogacy.

#9 4ofmyown

4ofmyown

VBAC Goddess

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:04 PM

I wanted to let you all know that I spoke to my attorney yesterday about this and depending on your state laws and the way your contract is written TriCare CAN'T come after you for medical expenses!!! I have seperate insurance now but won't think twice about using it until it becomes an actual exclusion in the handbook which literally takes an act of congress and was NOT passed last year!! In Oct 09 you will need to pay close attention to any bills that Missouri Congressman Ike Skelton is trying to pass, he is the original writer of the bill last year.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Tricare will cover the pregnancy as it is not officially excluded. But the clause about the compensation is hard to get around. We are advising ALL military surrogates to make sure you show this stuff to your lawyer and make sure that they word the contract well. The SURROGATE must be 100% comfortable with the contract wording if she is going to be using Tricare.

Tricare has and will come after the SURROGATE for payment.

Please be careful.

#10 missjenna77

missjenna77

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

[size=2]
I am new to the surrogacy world, I have done an application and re phone interview w/circle surrogacy..(anyone have any thoughts on them?..what about new hope surrogacy in Ohio?)
Anyways, I am a military wife, my husband is active duty...What I need to know is will Tricare cover the costs?
Do i just not tell them its a surrogacy then? What about after the baby is born?..I am just making sure it will all be taken care of..Any one have any thoughts or can shed some light on this matter, please let me know..Thanks!!

#11 Hedr

Hedr

~Mom x3, GSx2, EDx1~

• Sr. Site Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

What I need to know is will Tricare cover the costs?

No they will cost share the costs with your intended parents. Meaning your IP's will have to pay for your medical.

Do i just not tell them its a surrogacy then?

NO this will only make things worse, If they find out AFTER the baby is born that this is a surrogate pregnancy they will come after YOU for the costs, not your IP's.

What about after the baby is born?

After the baby is born it is to go onto the IP's insurance.

My thoughts are this, have your IP's purchase a separate policy. Do not use Tricare.

#12 Jeniffer

Jeniffer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

I have talked to Tricare and it is true that they will cover your maternity, however, if written up in the contract this is a compensated surragacy (regarless of wording) they will come back for reimbursement if they research and find this out! Uggghh

That being said...I have found my IP's..and don't have insuranc. I live in WI..which BCBS has a 12month wait..no good!!!

Anyone have suggestions for WI coverage?

Jeniffer

#13 Jeniffer

Jeniffer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:47 PM

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barb, not really sure how this site works...would like to talk to you if that is possible..Thanks!
jeniffer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users