Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:28 PM
I have been asked by a few different people why I am no longer matched with Tammy. I have explained my reasons to very few people, and was told that I should post a warning, and after much consideration I am going to explain why I am no longer matched with her.
Tammy and I met on AAS, she had written a post about how discouraged she was that her surrogates were not working out. I responded to that post and said that when I was done with the Journey I was on that I would be her surrogate if she still needed one. Well my FIF’s and I did not work out, Tammy had matched with a surrogate, and that did not work out. So we talked about me being her surrogate.
Tammy and her DH were going to go to Oregon to see their surrogate, even though they did not work out she told me they still wanted to take the trip. So I suggested that they come to CA and meet me and my family.
After they arrived I started to see ALLOT of things that bothered me. I knew that her DH had had a heart attack, and I also knew that he was overweight. But she lead me to believe that he was in overall good health, so I had no idea his health was as bad as it is. I did not know that he was a heavy smoker, a diabetic who does not take care of himself, and that he is so overweight that he can’t sleep in a bed, he has to sleep upright. His DR told him that if he does not change his lifestyle that he is not going to last a year. That was a year ago, and Tammy herself told me that she knows if he does not change he will not be around much longer. Her DH has no health insurance. Tammy can get him on her insurance through her work. But she can’t afford to pay for the premiums and pay for the surrogacy. She is choosing to have another baby rather than get her DH medical coverage.
Tammy needs a surrogate for an incredibly low comp, and that’s fine. I’m not in this for the money. However her DH is not helping her pay for the surrogacy, she is working her a$$ off to pay for it. We were talking about how the comp was going to be paid out, and she wanted to do the arrangement that I had with my FIF’s and pay every 3 months. I am OK with that, but then she tells me that if she does not have the total amount that needs to be paid saved up that she would send me what she could, and put on the receipt the amount still owed to me. So what happens if she can’t pay the first payment in full, then there is a remaining amount owed on the next payment? What Happens when the baby is born and there is still an amount owed and she can’t pay all of the comp? She has no idea how to file a PBO, nor does she have the money for a lawyer to ask or do it for her. She wants the surrogate to do the leg work for her.
They are also going to use a sperm donor, but all of the donors that they have found keep flaking on them. She has an 18 year old son, and she actually suggested using his sperm. I told her no, but it really bothered me that she would even suggest that.
They were supposed to stay with us for a week but ended up leaving 3 says early because Tammy's aunt showed up at their house asking her son for money. They were worried that the aunt and her husband were going to steal their stuff because they were not at home. Tammy has an 18 year old son who is developmentally disabled, and she left him alone while she came to CA to see me. I’m not sure what exactly is wrong with her son, but I know he is mentally handicapped. I know that people did call to check up on him, but he was still home alone.
I have found things that she has posted online that don’t match up with what she has told me. I have also talked to other people that Tammy knows and what Tammy told me about them and what they tell me about her again don’t match up.
She is a very very sweet person, and I did not want to hurt her, but I just did not feel comfortable moving forward. She was moving really fast, and wanted to do insems without a contract in place. She really has no idea what she is getting into. She has no money saved what so ever to pay for the comp, or any lawyer fees, or for medical bills that are surrogacy related. She had this mentality of Oh i have a surrogate let’s announce it to the world and go, go, go and then figure everything out when the surrogate gets pregnant.
I sent her an email expressing my concerns, and told her that I wanted to wait till her financial status was a little better, and her DH's healths was a little better, and wait till she found a reliable sperm donor. She did not like my email and was very rude and tried to play the victim and blame it all on me. She seems to twist things around so that she is not at fault and she is the victim, but she will not admit that she had done anything wrong, or that anything needs to be fixed.
I know that I am not perfect, there are thing i should have done differently, I should have seen the red flags sooner, but I didn’t. I really wanted this match to work out. I don’t want another surrogate to find out the hard way what I found out. Or for a newer surrogate to match with her and not have the knowledge to say no, or know that this is not how surrogacy is supposed to work.
Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:27 AM
Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:16 PM
Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:09 PM
Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:13 AM