Photo

hoping to get medical clearance- what tests to request?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fallingtreestars

fallingtreestars

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

I'm still in the getting to know each other and planning phase of this match, but I wanted to do what I could on my end so we have less hoops to jump through before doing a transfer. I scheduled my annual for next week and am going in the morning for a full panel of blood work. Aside from those things, what else should I have my MD check? I may need to schedule an appointment with my endo as well since I have a hyperactive thyroid (although things seem to be leveling out with my natural approaches to dealing with it) just to get her stamp of approval to be a GS.

The tentative plan with the FIPs are for me to come down to meet them in person in the next couple months. FIM wants me to visit with her RE at that point in time! Does the FIP's RE usually give the referral for the psych eval, or is that something else I could take care of solo?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I told the FIM of my appointments and she's thrilled!

Say thanks for the support and click on a banner ad!

#2 ellemagnoliasmommy

ellemagnoliasmommy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:39 AM

I needed to have a letter stating I was fit to carry again.

#3 TiffanyM

TiffanyM

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

Basically what you need is a letter from your OB/GYN clearing you to carry another pregnancy and records from your most recent pap and all your previous delivery. Once you begin with the PIPs RE( PIP for "potential" IPs ... on the boards FIP typically indicates "former") they may run a blood panel and STD testing etc if it needs to be done or sometimes they may request you see your OB/GYN or GP.

If your PIPs clinic is familiar with the process (which they likely are) they may have a Psych they recommend. At the very least I'd ask them for a referral since not all psychologists are familiar with counseling individuals pursuing a surrogacy arrangement, you don't want to pick just anybody out of the phonebook.

HTH

#4 Sarah

Sarah

AAS Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:07 PM

Exactly what the PP's have said. I needed a letter stating that I was fit to carry again, I also had a pap, blood test for basic stuff and a full STD panel run in order to save time after matching.

#5 fallingtreestars

fallingtreestars

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

thanks ladies! that's what the plan is now so I'll just be sure to have her write something down for the PIPs.

And thank you, Tiffany, for clearing up the acronym mix up- I kept reading it as FUTURE IP's! lol

#6 looking4help

looking4help

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:53 AM

I would go with your gut instinct. A professional can tell you if you are suited to be a GS. There is a balance between personality and desire too. It's not as simple as medical clearance.
We felt confident in the stages on both sides, so haven't bothered with an agency. Its important to be able to get along with someone and not need a third party.

We have begun our search too.

#7 gottaluvme

gottaluvme

Member.. Yeah!

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

I am also a first time GS matched independantly.... and I agree with you looking4help. Matching independantly is very different than using an agency. I have been matched since last year, and decided that I REALLY wanted to get to know my IPs well... hence the wait to start transferring. I feel that it is super important to get to know each other, especially since we don't have a middle man to mediate. There has been ALOT of research, both on my part and on my IPs.... some of it done together. My IPs do not have any extended family, and they want my fiancee and I to become family. This is what I wanted, as it is very important to me to continue to be involved after the birth..... (I don't want to be 2nd mommy or anything, but it's going to be nice to have a relationship after doing something so intimate for them!!) I absolutely adore my couple and I am soooo glad we took the time to make sure we are a true match. We are going to start the getting pregnant part in mid Jan- early Feb.... (so excited!) and we will be doing a sibling project in a couple years, God willing.

#8 kricket24

kricket24

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

Just wanted to say :stars: Welcome :stars: and the only other thing I can think of to ask your GYN about ahead of time is rubella immunity and maybe Rh (not positive on that one) if you don't already have that in your records from your first pregnancy. I also made sure to update my immunization records and keep a copy for the RE's just in case. Looking forward to following your journey! :)

#9 4ofmyown

4ofmyown

VBAC Goddess

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:04 AM

As a TS, I do a general physical, pap, full panel of bloodwork for STD's and Hep C, along with HIV and any other thing they can think of I missed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com