What is a mock cycle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mama_Bear

Mama_Bear

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:24 PM

and why would you have one? I keep reading about mock cycles, I'm guessing it's a regular cycle (drugs and everything) with no transfer, is that correct? Why would anyone want/need to do one?

Say thanks for the support and click on a banner ad!

#2 coco626

coco626

3 beautiful babies born to 2 beautiful families

• PipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

A mock cycle is a cycle with no transfer at the end. And (for me anyways) does not include the injectables (it may for some...not sure). You would need a mock cycle to see how your body reacts to the meds. Some clinics require them and some don't. I have been with 3 different clinics now, about to have my 6th transfer, and I JUST had my first mock cycle in November. In doing this mock cycle, though, my new clinic has learned how my body reacts to their specific protocol and we learned that when we start our real cycle in a couple of weeks, that I will require extra estrogen. It's a nice way to have a trial run so that you can kind of be aware if you need to make any adjustments to meds, etc. HTH! :)

#3 tm501

tm501

• Sr. Site Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:55 AM

I did have to do a mock cycle before my very first transfer. It did include injections for me though. I'm assuming every clinic has its own protocol.

#4 toots

toots

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:35 AM

Our RE said it was really important to be able to see how our GC was going to respond to the meds and how the lining of her uterus thickened. It is to make sure that the body is ready for the transfer. We really wanted to skip is, but our RE was adamant that it was important.

#5 Kathleen55

Kathleen55

July will make 4!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,152 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

Our only RE that required one did a modified version. Rather than doing a full course of meds he felt it was more important to do a mock transfer to get an accurate measurement of the cervix and uterus for good embryo placement.

#6 coco626

coco626

3 beautiful babies born to 2 beautiful families

• PipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

Our only RE that required one did a modified version. Rather than doing a full course of meds he felt it was more important to do a mock transfer to get an accurate measurement of the cervix and uterus for good embryo placement.

Ok, now see, I DID do this at my very first clinic also and it was called a mock transfer not a mock cycle. {Forgot to mention this to the OP). I was very confused about all this when I first started out.

So, to the OP, let me do a quick run-down of my understanding of this so that maybe you won't be confused like I was for so long! LOL!.... :)

Mock Transfer: This is basically an u/s with measurements and placement of the catheter used during transfer to insert the embies. They want to look into your uterus and see what size catheter is best to use when it is time for the real deal. (in MY personal experience you are NOT comped for this very simple procedure). Also, for me, this was sometimes done at the same time as the saline sono.

Mock Cycle: Meds are used and you are monitored usually for a couple of weeks or so to see how your body reacts to the med protocol of your particular clinic. (in MY personal experience you ARE comped for this because you are subjecting your body to hormones and it does require several trips to the RE to be monitored).

HTH!!! It would've been helpful to be several years ago! LOL :sun:

#7 @Sunrise

@Sunrise

GC x 2: Retired!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,064 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

Mine had me do a mock cycle first and it was the full med, injections, patches and pills. Sometimes after a failed cycle, they may want to try a mock to check and see if your body has changed and need to adjust the meds.

#8 flsurromom4

flsurromom4

Intended Parent

• PipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

Ok, now see, I DID do this at my very first clinic also and it was called a mock transfer not a mock cycle. {Forgot to mention this to the OP). I was very confused about all this when I first started out.

So, to the OP, let me do a quick run-down of my understanding of this so that maybe you won't be confused like I was for so long! LOL!.... :)

Mock Transfer: This is basically an u/s with measurements and placement of the catheter used during transfer to insert the embies. They want to look into your uterus and see what size catheter is best to use when it is time for the real deal. (in MY personal experience you are NOT comped for this very simple procedure). Also, for me, this was sometimes done at the same time as the saline sono.

Mock Cycle: Meds are used and you are monitored usually for a couple of weeks or so to see how your body reacts to the med protocol of your particular clinic. (in MY personal experience you ARE comped for this because you are subjecting your body to hormones and it does require several trips to the RE to be monitored).

HTH!!! It would've been helpful to be several years ago! LOL :sun:

Yeah I had a "mock transfer" done yesterday and I was/am not comped for it. I would have done a mock cycle if I hadn't just done one a month and 1/2 ago, plus everyone is ready to go, like now lol so, yeah.
I hadn't been able to weigh in on this till yesterday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users