New IM (I think)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jbgmommy

jbgmommy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

Hi! I'm a new IM - married to hubby, James for 8 years. We were blessed through IVF FET with our son in 2008, but after another IVF FET ended in (my 3rd) miscarriage in November my periods never resumed and I found out last month that I won't be able to carry another pregnancy as my uterus is kaput (how's that for medical jargon for ya!) :) One of my closest friends has offered to be our GS, provided that after meeting with the fertility doctor on Thurs (4/21) her husband is on board as well. She's sure he will be, I'm afraid to get my hopes up!! That's why I put "I think"... Anyway, I have about 4 million questions, but I guess I'll start with:
1) My GS wants to use her own insurance and not tell them that it's a gestational carrier pregnancy. Her insurance does not cover GP. Her main reason is that she is close friends with her doctor (who delivered her natural twins last year) and she is afraid that the surrogate insurance will not allow her to see her doctor. We are in California. Do you know with an indy contract if this is possible or how this works or what questions I should ask the legal person??
Thanks so much! I am so relieved to have found this board!!!

#2 wbwatts

wbwatts

- ran a marathon and is now working on TTC #2

• PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:45 AM

welcome!!! congrats on ur "match" :) playing insurance roulette is dangerous. is there an actual exclusion? a lot of policies say they won't cover the IVF part but will cover the prenatal care/delivery. i believe u can use BCBS in CA if u want to buy her a seperate policy v buying New Life. My Ips bought me a seperate policy (im a military spouse w/tricare prime & they didn't want to deal w/what ifs). Make sure u both have seperate lawyers...it would be a good idea to have ur lawyer look over her insurance booklet and get their take on it.

#3 Amanda914

Amanda914

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

Welcome to AAS!! And congrats on your match! As Whitney stated, you need to have her call her insurance company and find out for sure if it WON'T cover a GS pregnancy, if not, then you need to purchase her a seperate policy for the pregnancy, because if not, that is commiting insurance fraud. So just look into your options. Good Luck to you!

#4 JesseX2

JesseX2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

Welcome!

I agree-be careful with that insurance process. You could get into trouble if they determine fraud was taking place. It might be best to just purchase her a stand alone policy that would include her doctor on the network...will be a little more expensive for you, but in the end it would be a little more "safe", IMO.

Good luck!! :)

#5 ellemagnoliasmommy

ellemagnoliasmommy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

Welcome! I would still get legal advice to make sure everything is kosher. It would be awful to have her insurance deny everything! Maybe have a attorney look over her policy and see if it really does exclude surrogacy.

Good luck!

#6 oneexcitedoven

oneexcitedoven

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

Welcome! I agree with the ladies on the insurance thing! I just got dropped from my ODS plan because I did not disclose I was going to be a surrogate at the time I filled out the insurance application. I now have insurance but I did ask them about 100 times if it was okay for me to be a surrogate. So I would say never mess with insurance's, they will find out and screw you over. Definitely call her insurance and ask, maybe have a lawyer look over it too. Good luck with everything, I hope her insurance doesn't have a restriction and she can use it. :luck:

#7 Lilkim80

Lilkim80

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

welcome, what part of CALI are you in. I am in southern part.
Def call her insurance. which one does she have if you don't mind sharing.

#8 jbgmommy

jbgmommy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

Thank you ladies so much for your responses... that was my feeling as well, didn't want to get into any trouble or do anything illegal that could open us or her up for problems down the road. It is my understanding that she called her insurance (Western) and that they said they did not cover gestational carrier pregnancies. I will have her double check, and give the legal person the info on the policy. The only GC insurance that I've found is something called New Life? I find their website very confusing. Has anyone used them in the past or know of another GC insurance company? I am in Northern California.

Edited by jbgmommy, 20 April 2011 - 05:36 PM.

#9 hopefulll

hopefulll

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

I agree with the others. I wouldn't go into it planning to hide the surrogacy from the insurance. One, they insurance company may find out and deny or reverse payments, and two, it's possible it may be considered fraud if you are deliberately trying to hide it from them when you know they don't cover a surrogacy pregnancy. I would have a professional look into your GS's plan details first because sometimes it seems like a surrogacy pregnancy is not covered when it actually is.

#10 Calimomma2

Calimomma2

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Hi there!! I am in No. Cal too. I have bcbs tonik 5000. It does not a have a surrogacy exclusion. They do ask when applying if you are in contract to be a surrogate and I was not at that time, so I did not lie!!! (I was about 30 days after) The plan for me was $155 per month plus a $5000 deductible. I haven't had any problems so far.

#11 Stork

Stork

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

Im also from NorCal and used BCBS with no issues at all! Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users