Surrogacy Forum: Surrogate Mothers, Intended Parents and Egg Donors: Back in the hospital - Postpartum Issues - Surrogacy Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Back in the hospital

#1 User is offline   3j2k 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

Well, I'm sitting in the hospital with a uterine infection and retained placenta. I have been feeling progressively worse the past couple of days, with increased bleeding and cramping, fever, rapid heartrate, and fatigue. I'm starting IV antibiotics tonight, then undergoing a d&c tomorrow. When it rains, it pours I suppose!
:rolleyes:/>
Tiffany, I guess July was not a good month for cycling for you and I.

#2 User is offline   luvmykids 

• PipPip

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:28 PM

Kelli I am so sorry to hear you are going through even more. I hope after tomorrow you will feel better.

#3 User is offline   traci72 

• waiting to see what the future holds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Admin

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

So sorry to hear that Kelli. Many prayers for you.

#4 User is offline   adriane 

• PipPip

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:21 AM

Sorry to hear that you are going through all this:( I will keep you and your famliy in my prayers.. Feel better and take it easy..

#5 User is offline   flsurromom4 

• Intended Parent
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Sr. Member

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

View Post3j2k, on 08 December 2011 - 11:17 PM, said:

Well, I'm sitting in the hospital with a uterine infection and retained placenta. I have been feeling progressively worse the past couple of days, with increased bleeding and cramping, fever, rapid heartrate, and fatigue. I'm starting IV antibiotics tonight, then undergoing a d&c tomorrow. When it rains, it pours I suppose!
:rolleyes:/>
Tiffany, I guess July was not a good month for cycling for you and I.

I'm guessing you were right!! I hope you feel better sweetie! :hugs:/>

#6 User is offline   serenalug22 

• AAS Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

I am so sorry you are going through this now too. Hope it goes well today and you are feeling better soon. Huge hugs,

#7 User is offline   BUZYMOM 

• heartbroken retiree
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

Thinking of you today and hoping for quick healing for your body and heart!! Hugs!!

#8 User is offline   coco626 

• 3 beautiful babies born to 2 beautiful families
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

Thinking of you Kelli. Can't wait until you are through all of this and can start fresh and healthy on your next go 'round. Sending you tons of healing vibes! :hb:/>

#9 User is offline   CaliSurroMom 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

Ugh... I am so sorry you are having to go through more. I hope it all goes as well as it can and you are able to heal completely to be ready to get knocked up for your IFs when you're all ready. :grouphug:/>

#10 User is offline   BabyOven 

• Proud Mama, Wife & GSx1
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

Aww honey. I really hope the D&C and antibiotics work quickly so you can relax and focus on healing. Huge hugs and prayers coming your way.

#11 User is offline   JesseX2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

:hugs:/> Please let us know how you're doing!

#12 User is offline   jmedee77 

• Gestational Surrogate
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

oh honey...I'm so sorry. Praying that you heal up soon and you get better :)/>

#13 User is offline   Charbearx3 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

I hope your doing well! Thinking of you and I'm sorry your going through all this!

#14 User is offline   Johnsgirl78 

• PipPip
  • Group: Site Supporter

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

I'm so sorry your having to go through all of this. Sending prayers and healing thoughts your way! :grouphug:/>

#15 User is offline   3j2k 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

I'm home from the hospital. Sorry I haven't updated until now, it's been a crazy past few days! Here's the whole story:

Things went well, and I'm doing much better. Thursday night when I posted, I wasn't doing well at all. I felt "off" all last week, but just thought it was due to the circumstances. It became clear on Thursday that things were not normal and I knew I never felt that way after delivery before. My heart rate was in the upper 90's-100 bpm, I was running a 100.5 fever, cramping and bleeding were increasing instead of decreasing as they're supposed to several days post delivery, and the fatigue was extensive. Since my OB had trouble removing the placenta, I had a feeling I would have issues with retained placenta. I called and made an appt. to see her and get it checked out. I had to go by myself since my DH had to stay with the kids, and it was hard going back to the office and the ultrasound room where we first learned about the baby's heart defect. I had the ultrasound with a different tech than before, and OMG, I almost slapped her! She was so rude about me being a surrogate. She said, "Ugh, you try to do something nice for someone, and look where it gets you. Guess it's the thought that counts." I couldn't believe she said that to me. I told her that there are risks to any pregnancy, and she said, "Yeah, I guess so." and rolled her eyes. Ugh, I'm going to request to never have her scan me again. http://www.allaboutsurrogacy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/angry3.gif
As for the scan, there were objects on the screen, but it was hard to tell if they were just clots or actual tissue. I OB said we could just try some IV antibiotics first and see if that helped, and if not then do a D&C. I told her I didn't want to wait for things to get worse, to go ahead and do the D&C. She agreed, and started calling the hospital to get me admitted. The hospital where I delivered was full, so she got me into a different one. I was able to go home for a bit, gather some things, and have my DH take me. I wanted so badly for him to be with me, but we didn't want to call anyone on such short notice to watch the kids. So he took me to the hospital with the kids and they accompanied me to my room.

The hospital I was at is brand new and really nice, so it wasn't so bad. They left and I got settled in. I was started on IV antibiotics and fluids, and had my blood drawn. The D&C was scheduled for 11:30 Friday morning, so I was able to eat and drink until midnight. I got some Percocet for the pain and that helped somewhat. My head was hurting so bad, I knew at that point I had an epidural headache. I had one with my second son, so I was familiar with the symptoms. I mentioned it to my nurse, but it was late and there wasn't anything to be done about it. I got a little sleep, but of course it's a hospital and nobody really sleeps there. They came and drew blood at 3:30 in the morning! Lights on and everything. Plus, my room was right across from the nurses station, so it was quite loud. I requested some earplugs and that helped a bit.

Friday morning was rough waiting for the procedure. My head was pounding, I was so parched, and very weak. My Hemoglobin and Hematocrit was 22% and 8 g/dl, respectively. Normal ranges are 36-46% hemoglobin and hematocrit is 12-16 g/dl so mine was way below normal because of the huge ongoing blood loss. I could barely blink, and was told I had no color in my face...thanks a lot right?! LOL!

Anyway, to shorten this long story, I made sure to speak up about the headache and requested a blood patch when the anesthesiologist came by in pre-op. At first my OB was skeptical, but I insisted and she finally conceded. The anesthesiologist was able to do the patch before the D&C, right there in pre-op. I had the D&C under general, which was nice. When I woke up, I could tell instantly I felt better. The headache that I'd had for 5 days was GONE and I just felt good. Yes, I was all doped up with Fentanyl and Dilaudid, but I knew the worst was over. I sort of remember talking to my OB about what she found, but I can't recall what she said. I think she said they were sending everything to pathology, but I'm not sure. She said that I needed at least 2 units of blood, and that I should go ahead and stay another night. I was all for that since I didn't want to risk coming back in.

So, I had 2 blood transfusions, more antibiotics, and fluids. My H&H went up to 32% and 10.5 so it's better but I have to take huge doses of Iron for a few weeks to get it back to normal. I was released yesterday afternoon, and my mom flew in from Dallas to stay a few days and help out. I have oral antibiotics, Dilaudid for pain, iron supplements, and Tylenol for any fever that may come back. So far so good, and I'm doing much better! My DH was awesome and cleaned the house for my homecoming. He and my mom have been so helpful, and I've been able to take it easy. Ian and Troy have called me everyday, a couple times a day plus texting to check on me, and me and DH are going over to their house tonight for dinner while my mom watches the kids. They feel so bad that I've had all these issues, and have been wonderful.

Thanks for the support you've all given me this past week! I can't say that enough, and all the posts you've left me make me feel better. I don't know what I'd do without my surrogate community! Thanks again!

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Professional Sponsors | Become A Sponsor | Make a Donation | Our Friendship Fund