Photo

What are the chances of twins with a single FET?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DisestherZone

DisestherZone

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

This may have already been asked here somewhere, but I was just wondering how many of you have had twin pregnancies after a single FET. I know there's a chance an embryo can split, but it seems like in most cases IVF twin pregnancies are the result of a 2-embryo transfer. Maybe I'm just assuming though...

When we went through IVF, we transferred 2 (in hindsight I wish we'd only transferred one since my body is a death trap). Our GS is very tiny & petite (4'8"), but we were planning on doing a single transfer even before we knew she would be doing it. My DH is 6', and I'm only 5'4", so it's not like we're likely to have HUGE babies, but ours would probably be bigger than what she's carried in the past (her DH is 5'8"). I know the body is capable of doing amazing things, but it kinda scares me to think of what a twin pregnancy would do to her (reduction isn't an option in any of our minds).

Say thanks for the support and click on a banner ad!

#2 lilac_blossom

lilac_blossom

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

We transferred two embryos and our boys are fraternal twins. There is a slightly higher chance of identical twins from frozen embryos. I don't know the exact figure though but I do know it's slightly higher than with natural conception and fresh embryo transfers. It's still pretty rare in either case but it does happen.

#3 ellemagnoliasmommy

ellemagnoliasmommy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

Danielle had one embie split!

#4 TiffanyM

TiffanyM

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

It does happen and the "risk" increases with PGD embryos but it's like a 1% chance. We transferred two embies last week and I think they said 55% success rate for one, 25% for two and 1% or less for more than two. Danielle/BabyOven had it happen where one PGD'd embryo split and a potential IM I considered matching with last fall ended up proceeding with a different surro who carried/delivered triplets for them just last week after a transfer of just two embies. I felt like I dodge the bullet on that one since the "deal break" for the IM and I was that I wouldn't carry HOM but, they were against selective reduction (SR). Guess everything happens for a reason right!?!?

As for your GS's size. Don't let it worry you. My first journey was for a couple where the IF is over 6' and 9+lbs at birth and the ED they chose was 5'8". I am a more petite 5' person. He was measuring in the 90th percentile throughout the pregnancy so we knew he was gonna be big and sure enough he was - my surro-guy was 10lbs even at birth but I delivered him vaginally and it went very smoothly considering. My largest baby had been 7lbs3oz. I became uncomfortable with him earlier than I did with my girls, I imagine he was their birth weight by the time I was around 36wks so, by about then I felt huge! Those last few weeks were rough and seemed like to take forever but every ache and pain was so worth it when he arrived. There were also some concerns about my wish for a vaginal birth, my OB was pushing a scheduled c-section, but my IPs were very supportive of a trial of labor and 12 hours later their beautiful son arrived without the intervention of a c-section. :)

#5 traci72

traci72

waiting to see what the future holds

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,189 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

As mentioned, anything can happen w/embies. If you are only wanting 1 to be carried, you are MUCH safer in doing a SFET. (single frozne embie transfer)

#6 BabyOven

BabyOven

Proud Mama, Wife & GSx1

• PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:49 AM

Hi - I'm Danielle LOL.
We did a single embie fresh transfer and found out at our first u/s that it had split into identical twins...

Prior to that u/s our RE had explained that the risk is about 2%. Identical twins have no sort of hereditary component or anything.. Only 3 out of every 1000 sets of twins are identical..

If you have good quality embies, I think a single embie transfer would be best. That being said - I carried the twins to 38 weeks, 2 days and even though we were that far along, they were still on the small side (5lbs, 10oz & 5lbs, 14oz.) The RE said that statistically identical twins (monochorionic/diamniotic) are smaller than fraternal twins due to sharing the placenta and their "space."

Good luck with everything and feel free to send me a message if you have any specific questions I might be able to answer :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com