Surrogacy Forum: Surrogate Mothers, Intended Parents and Egg Donors: CONFUSED....how do you use Insurance - The Contract Phase and Insurance Issues - Surrogacy Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CONFUSED....how do you use Insurance

#1 User is offline   patscharlee 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hello all...Im NEW to this forum, Im just in need of help...cant find the answer ANYWHERE!...
So I just had a hysterectomy they saved my ovaries and tubes, we have my best friend who has offered to do surrogacy for us as a gift. ok how does it work. I know that we have to cover the cost of our side of things, harvesting my eggs, getting my husbands part, and making embryos. Then does HER insurance cover the rest. The IVF? the Pregnancy? and then we pay her out of pocket deductibles?...Im horribly confused and would so appreciate any insight into this...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :O)

#2 User is offline   Angela 

• PipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Welcome! Most insurance policies won't cover IVF for surrogacy and have a surrogacy clause in them. I'm a surrogate and my insurance will cover the pregnancy because it covers any pregnancy, but all the monitoring, the IVF procedure, meds, etc. are out of pocket for my IP's. Good luck to you!

#3 User is offline   traci72 

• waiting to see what the future holds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Admin

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Welcome, and while I'm so sorry to hear of your situation, you've found a wonderful resource for you and your DH as well as your BFF. 1st thing is to READ READ READ all of the forums, whether you think they pertain to you or not. You'll be surprised at what you learn. 2nd, as Angela mentioned, most insurances will NOT cover IVF, the testing (BFF or not, you ALL NEED a psych eval, STD screening, to have her delivery records reviewed, etc) IVF cycling meds or the transfer. I have wonderful insurance that covers everything once my pg is confirmed, despite it being a surro-pg. MOST insurances out there do NOT cover a surro-pg though, and other arrangements need to be made. You'll be covering the cost of everything for her to cycle and transfer, any deductibles, OOP expenses, a potential additional insurance policy or negotiating w/her clinic/Dr/hospital for a cash payment. (it often ends up being cheaper than what they negotiate w/insurance companies) To be honest, this is just the tip of the iceburg. There is the cost of attorney's for both of you, contracts, any surrogacy related expenses, clothing, child care, lost wages, and more. It seems so overwhelming in the beginning, but do your research, ask questions and let us help support you and it makes it a lot easier to deal with.

#4 User is offline   patscharlee 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Thanks to both of you...the info helps...it is OVERWHELMING!!!...but hopefully we will muddle thru...

#5 User is offline   coco626 

• 3 beautiful babies born to 2 beautiful families
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sr. Member

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

View Postpatscharlee, on 10 April 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

Thanks to both of you...the info helps...it is OVERWHELMING!!!...but hopefully we will muddle thru...

VERY!!! But don't let that stop you! You will get the hang of it! Don't be afraid to ask (a ton of) questions. We are all here and happy to help. To not overwhelm you too much right now, I will just answer you initial question.

You will need to pay for everything (IVF, fertility meds, screenings, tests, etc) up until your surro becomes pregnant. IF (and that is a big "if") your surro's insurance covers a surrogacte pregnancy, then it usually takes effect once she is released to her OB (and this varies for each RE. I was usually released around 8-10 wks). At least for all 3 of my suppogate pregnancies (and having a different insurance with each one of those, believe it or not!) that's how it worked. My IPs covered everything IVF related all the way up until the RE released me to my regular OB. At that point I just made a regular ol' prenantal appointment at my OB's office and continued on in the same manner as if it was just a normal pregnancy. I was fortunate enough to have great insurance each time that covered my pregnancy no matter "how" I became pregnant.

Hope that helps! Please come back with lots of other questions!!! :)/>

#6 User is offline   jessilynn183 

• PipPip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

The way that my insurance works (BCBS) is that it doesn't cover anything on the fertility clinic side (Ivf, transfer, medications, ect) however after I am pregnant then everything for the pregnancy will be covered and there aren't any surrogacy exclusions. I've found that being open and upfront about this being a surrogacy with the insurance company that they are very helpful!!! Good luck with everything and try to not get overwhelmed!!! Just take it one step at a time!

#7 User is offline   coco626 

• 3 beautiful babies born to 2 beautiful families
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sr. Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

View Postcoco626, on 10 April 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

View Postpatscharlee, on 10 April 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

VERY!!! But don't let that stop you! You will get the hang of it! Don't be afraid to ask (a ton of) questions. We are all here and happy to help. To not overwhelm you too much right now, I will just answer you initial question.

You will need to pay for everything (IVF, fertility meds, screenings, tests, etc) up until your surro becomes pregnant. IF (and that is a big "if") your surro's insurance covers a surrogacte pregnancy, then it usually takes effect once she is released to her OB (and this varies for each RE. I was usually released around 8-10 wks). At least for all 3 of my suppogate pregnancies (and having a different insurance with each one of those, believe it or not!) that's how it worked. My IPs covered everything IVF related all the way up until the RE released me to my regular OB. At that point I just made a regular ol' prenantal appointment at my OB's office and continued on in the same manner as if it was just a normal pregnancy. I was fortunate enough to have great insurance each time that covered my pregnancy no matter "how" I became pregnant.

Hope that helps! Please come back with lots of other questions!!! :)/>

Wow! What the heck was wrong with me that day! What in the world?! Good grief... LOL!!!

Hope you were able to get the answers you were looking for. :)/>

#8 User is offline   wbwatts 

• - ran a marathon and is now working on TTC #2
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

you each need seperate lawyers, she needs to get the OK from her OB (make sure she's had children before), go over her insurance policy w/a fine tooth comb otherwise look at buying her a policy (my IPs bought me a policy)...good luck!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Professional Sponsors | Become A Sponsor | Make a Donation | Our Friendship Fund