Just wanted to introduce myself

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ehoag0368

Ehoag0368

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hello! I always feel a bit awkward making an introduction post, but it's either this or remain a lurker. I'm very new to the surrogacy world, but have been researching like mad for the last few months to learn everything I possibly can, and to make sure that becoming a GS is something that I really want to do. Obviously, since I'm here, I decided it is. :)

I'm a 22 year old mother to one beautiful daughter, and I'm currently a stay at home mom/full-time student living in Illinios. After all of my reading on the subject, I've decided to try the independent route for matching, and am in the early stages of "getting to know you" emails with a few different couples. One thing that I kept reading about was how much patience was involved in surrogacy - from both the IP and GS. Now that I've actually started getting the ball rolling, I can see how true this is. I have to keep reminding myself that most people don't have access to a computer all day like I do, and can't respond to emails nearly as quickly as I can.

Other than fighting my natural impatience, I'm definitely very excited to see where this road takes me. I've been reading this board for quite a while, and decided today to finally make an account. I guess that's really all there is to say at the moment. I'll end this by saying that if you have any "newbie" advice for me, absolutely feel free to tell me. I may have done a ton of reading, but I am far from an expert.

Say thanks for the support and click on a banner ad!

#2 PhaedraS

PhaedraS

GS pregnant with twins

• PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

Welcome!! And congrats on deciding to make the commitment! Wish I had some advice for you but I am a newbie myself.

#3 Ehoag0368

Ehoag0368

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Welcome!! And congrats on deciding to make the commitment! Wish I had some advice for you but I am a newbie myself.

Thank you!

#4 tsmiami

tsmiami

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

Welcome! I'm glad you took some serious time to research, and you are right....while this takes amazing patience, most of us go absolutely nuts with the waiting (esp the 2ww). I can't wait to follow your journey!

#5 AmandaJ17

AmandaJ17

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Welcome! And good for you to do the research process first! :) Hope to hear about your journey soon!

#6 CaliSurroMom

CaliSurroMom

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Welcome! It is definitely all about the hurry up and wait. Patience would be lovely, but i don't think many of us have much of it. ;)

#7 lilbelle

lilbelle

Making June bugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,614 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Welcome out of the shadows lol good luck and we are all here to help!

#8 Jampurcell

Jampurcell

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Welcome! Researching is probably the best thing to do when jumping into this journey! I cant wait to follow yours!

#9 traci72

traci72

waiting to see what the future holds

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

Welcome to AAS....and out of lurkerdom! (I think I just made that word up!) I do want to just toss something out there. You are 22 and have 1 child. Are you happy w/your family as it is, or are you planning on having more children of your own? I ask because 1 of the things encouraged, is for you to be done w/your family. There is always a very real possibility that you can lose your own fertility, whether it be unexplained infertility or losing your uterus (and we have several ladies on this board who have gone through both situations) and would put you in the position of having to use a surrogate or adopt if you weren't done w/your family. Just more food for thought as you begin your journey and are researching. Looking forward to getting to know you more!

#10 jessilynn183

jessilynn183

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

Welcome!!! I know that you have a very daunting task ahead of you with picking IP's, medical testing, psych eval, contracts, ect. but my advice is just take it one step at a time. If you focus on the big picture of everything you have to accomplish then it can become very overwhelming. Also try to not give yourself 'deadlines' for when you want to have things finished because unfortunately you will almost always end up frustrated and disappointed. Welcome to the hurry up and wait club!!!!! Good luck!!!

#11 Gracie

Gracie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Welcome, keep researching while your looking for your match ask all the questions you can( nothing is off limits...generally lol).I have a younger family member who is starting her journey and I told her to try an agency if not one I'm with, another( just do her home work on them & google is her friend). I was worried about her getting hurt being only 22herself.
Take your time, it's good to take time and get to know everyone even the clinic.
P.S. Remember to make sure your fine with your family because you, yourself could lose your ability to have a child by helping someone else.
Good luck.

#12 Ehoag0368

Ehoag0368

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

I do realize that I stand a chance of losing my own fertility. And while I'm not "okay" with it (I don't think anyone would be, whether they're done having children or not), it's a risk that I'm willing to take after weighing the pros and cons. I've discussed this very issue with my fiance, and we've both agreed that right now we're done having kids. I realize that could change in the future, but in the next five years at least there are no more children in my plans. If something should happen that would prevent me from having any more children, I would not be devastated. I had always planned on being the "one and done" girl.

#13 Amaraine

Amaraine

• PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Welcome!

I'm happy to hear that you've already considered the possibility of losing your fertility. My husband and I feel the same way - we may or may not open the door to one more child in a few years, but we're 100% fine with being one and done.

I also went indy for my first match and we had a great journey, even though it didn't end in pregnancy. After we went our separate ways, I decided to sign with an agency to find another match.

I'm looking forward to following your journey!

#14 traci72

traci72

waiting to see what the future holds

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

One and done...LOL! That's what some of the ladies thought when they got into their 1st surrogacy. They'd do one and that was it...till the surrogacy bug bit! LOL! I agree that noone would be "ok" w/losing their fertility, but there have been ladies who were not done and planned on adding to their own families, only to not be able to. As long as you are content w/your family as it is, that's all one can ask for. Can't wait to hear how things are going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users