Any input would be helpful! :)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hahahasyyke

hahahasyyke

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

So, just looking over my policy. This is the only thing that stood out to me in mention of surrogacy. Other surrogacy mentions were about "non-member surrogates" but this one I wasn't sure what it meant -

Surrogate Mothers
All services related to surrogate parenting, including infertility testing and treatment, are not
covered.

Would this typically mean me as a surrogate or another surrogate if I were to be an IP? I was able to establish that it doesn't cover IVF treatments, but in the maternity section that is the only exclusion listed related to surrogacy besides, as I said, non member surrogates.

#2 hahahasyyke

hahahasyyke

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

And I may or may not have been looking at the wrong handbook just now. :rolleyes: this can be quite a head scratcher!

#3 hahahasyyke

hahahasyyke

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

okay - So after some somewhat frustrating searching and scouring... It appears that my handbook does not mention surrogacy at all. That's good right? It just says it doesn't cover IVF - but it covers maternity etc, with no exclusions about surrogacy mentioned.

#4 prenatalnanny

prenatalnanny

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

If thats the case you might be in the clear. I would just double with your attorney and agency if you have one.

#5 hahahasyyke

hahahasyyke

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Wahoo!
I don't have an attorney for surrogacy yet - I'm looking to go independent, and have been under the impression that attorney stuff should be covered by IPs. Do you think I should seek an attorney myself before hand and just eat the cost of an initial visit concerning insurance and such?

#6 prenatalnanny

prenatalnanny

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

I don't think there is any need to see a lawyer before you are matched. IP's should pay all your attorneys fees. If you are independent I would tell possible IP's that you don't think or see an exclusion but you wont know for sure until a professional can confirm this. I'm sure some of the more experienced ladies on here can be more concise.

#7 hahahasyyke

hahahasyyke

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

That sounds pretty reasonable and makes perfect sense to me :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users