Surrogacy Forum: Surrogate Mothers, Intended Parents and Egg Donors: Would love to be surrogate, but am I a candidate? - New to Surrogacy - Surrogacy Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would love to be surrogate, but am I a candidate?

#1 User is offline   wannabesteph 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read and (hopefully) reply with your insight.
I am a 29 year old married mother of 3 (ages 5, 3 and 7 months) and am currently in nursing school. I'll graduate as an RN in Decemeber and plan to go on to get my masters to become a Certified Nurse Midwife. I absolutely love everything there is about pregnancy and birth and have long thought that I'd be interested in becoming a surrogate. Now that my own family is complete, I am ready to start doing the real research to find out if it's a possibility.
My concern is that I did go through a fertility doc to get pregnant with my oldest daughter. We tried to get pregnant for almost a year, and got impatient and scared that something was wrong with me. After all the initial testing they could find nothing wrong with myself or my husband, but proceded with a clomid/IUI cycle which resulted in the healthy pregnancy and ultimiately birth of a wonderful little girl. With my second daughter, we went straight back to the fertility doc without even trying on our own. Two failed clomid/IUI cycles later we decided to take a rest cycle and voila - pregnant on our own! Another healthy pregnancy and easy birth. My third daughter was a big surprise, in fact, and required absolutely no trying - go figure! :)/> I know there was nothing physically wrong with me and that if we had just been a bit more patient I would've ended up pregnant on my own that first time as well.
But will that disqualify me as a potential surrogate? All three of my pregnancies were easy, and I had beautiful, uncomplicated, natural deliveries with CNMs. I feel drawn to do this. I hope I can.
Any experience with this type of situation? TIA!

#2 User is offline   PhaedraS 

• GS pregnant with twins
  • PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Member

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

If you are wanting to be a gestational carrier I don't think that any of that would pose a problem. It wouldn't be your egg so you don't have to worry about producing any.
If you are wanting to be a traditional surrogate you would have to discuss your history with the RE but I doubt it would be a problem then either.
I am not a medical professional, but think they generally just like for your pregnancies to have been uneventful. If you have a hx of gestational diabetes or preeclampsia they don't normally like to consider you for surrogacy.
There are so many helpful people on this site!! I think you have definitely come to the right place!!
Best wishes and hope your dream can come true!!

#3 User is offline   traci72 

• waiting to see what the future holds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Admin

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Your own fertility has nothing to do w/being a gestational surrogate. You're automatically doing IVF, so your "fertility" is already being manipulated. Now, if you were looking into being a traditional surrogate, you would have more of an issue there, although chances would be good that you would use an RE or clinic to do an IUI anyway. (unless you chose to do home insems, but that's a different ball of wax) I'd suggest you do lots of reading and research, ask tons of questions, contact agencies to get an idea of the process, etc and start from there. I would think that not only your background, but you nursing education would be a bonus to the process as well.

WELCOME!!!

#4 User is offline   AmandaJ17 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Just as Traci said, your own fertility doesn't matter...it's whether or not you can carry a healthy pregnancy. So, welcome! Hope to follow your journey soon! :)/>

#5 User is offline   CaliSurroMom 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

Welcome! I think the other ladies have covered it! I look forward to following your journey!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Professional Sponsors | Become A Sponsor | Make a Donation | Our Friendship Fund