Surrogacy Forum: Surrogate Mothers, Intended Parents and Egg Donors: Going indy - New to Surrogacy - Surrogacy Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Going indy Lots of questions!

#1 User is offline   KdLx 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

So I'm starting all of my research on how to go about becoming a GC without the help of an agency. Most articles and websites I've been reading say pretty much the same thing. Take your time, make sure to get all medical and physiological screening done for both parties, have a lawyer to do all legal/contractual matters, etc.

My questions are for anyone with independent experiences.

Did you get a lawyer first on your own? Or did you use a lawyer through your IPs?

Did you get your screenings done first through a clinic on your own or after you had matched with your IPs?

What questions did you ask to make sure these are the right IPs for you?

How did you work out all the expenses and compensation? Directly with the IPs or through the lawyer? Since I have never done this before, I have no idea what the expenses would be or if there is a standard or something. For example, Do they cover your travel expenses for appointments?

These are just things I can think of at the moment. I know this is a lot to answer so I appreciate anyone who will take the time to share and thank you in advance!! I am excited to get my journey started but still plan on waiting around a year to start looking for potential IPs. I want to have all the knowledge I can to make sure I do not make any mistakes! Any advice is appreciated!

#2 User is offline   traci72 

• waiting to see what the future holds
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

Your questions apply to surro's w/agecnies as well, it's just a matter of you handle it all yourself and have these discussions w/the PIP's vs an agency doing it. When it comes to the attorney, the IP's are responsible for paying for one, so while you may want to research them and decide on 1 or 2 (in case your IP's happen to be thinking of the same attorney), you wouldn't "hire" them until you are ready to work on contracts.

The IP's are also responsible for paying for the screening, though if that was something you wanted to do on your own ahead of time and not charge them for, that's just fine. I believe that psych evals are good for a year or more, depending on the RE/clinic. Med screening is only good for 6mos prior to a transfer, so that is something you want to wait on until contracts are done or close to it. Typically an RE or clinic will have their requirements for a surrogacy to go through their facility and it could vary from RE to RE. Some require both IP's and surro (and SO) to go through joint counseling, some don't. Some have more strict testing, guidelines, qualifications to be a GS, etc, so you really need to have the input of the RE. I WOULD suggest making sure that you do a background check on the PIP's and look into different options for escrow and such, so that you can try to be as protected financially as possible.

You need to think about things you are willing to compromise on, agree to or things you just don't agree to....location of IP's, where you might have to deliver, termination, SR, invasive testing, diet, different fees, compensation, etc. These are things that you need to discuss and agree on prior to ever starting contracts. I'm on my way out the door for work now, but we have a thread here about different things to have in your contract and I believe a generalized idea of fees and such. Keep in mind that fees and comp are a very personal thing, and you have to do what you feel is most comfortable and best for your family. In a nutshell, you should never be out a penny because of a surrogate pg.

#3 User is offline   GSinIN 

• PipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Did you get a lawyer first on your own? Or did you use a lawyer through your IPs? You should not have the same lawyer as your IPs. I did not get a lawyer until I had found a match- your IPs are responsible for your attorney fees.

Did you get your screenings done first through a clinic on your own or after you had matched with your IPs? Screenings were done after we matched and found a clinic so that I was doing what they were requiring. I did present them with my OB records and his blessing.

What questions did you ask to make sure these are the right IPs for you? Most importantly we had to agree on the non negotiable subjects- termination, amount to transfer, compensation, etc. A lot of things came up with my first match later on that made me realize they were not a good match. Lucky for me they called it quits due to marriage problems.

How did you work out all the expenses and compensation? Directly with the IPs or through the lawyer? Since I have never done this before, I have no idea what the expenses would be or if there is a standard or something. For example, Do they cover your travel expenses for appointments? My IPs and I worked out everything in advance and then presented our final draft to the lawyer. My IPs sent me a check every month and that included comp and any bills and allowances. My current IPs and clinic are local so they give me $200/month for gas and med copays.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Professional Sponsors | Become A Sponsor | Make a Donation | Our Friendship Fund