No insurance

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SurroHopeful

SurroHopeful

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

This may seem like a crazy question but I wanted to know if there are any GS's out there who have completed a journey without health insurance. I am very curious to know. Thanks you guys!

Say thanks for the support and click on a banner ad!

#2 traci72

traci72

waiting to see what the future holds

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,189 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

If the surro does not have her own health insurance, either the IP's will have to purchase a policy for her for the pg, or they would have to do a self-pay. But yes, there have been many surro's that have not had their own. Sometime's it means it takes a little longer to match, but it's not a huge deterrent.

#3 GSinIN

GSinIN

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I do not have insurance. My last IPs paid cash, my agency match obtained New Life, and my current IPs are paying cash.

ps I do have insurance, it is not surro friendly.

#4 Stork

Stork

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

I do not have insurance that covers surrogacy and my IPs bought me insurance.

#5 Newbie23

Newbie23

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

I have insurance coverage through my husband but they didn't cover surrogacy, so my IFs bought me a separate policy that covered surrogacy. I know there are surrogates out there that don't have any insurance. My agency told me though that if I wasn't able to get a policy that I would not be able to go through them to be a surrogate.

#6 SurroHopeful

SurroHopeful

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Thank you all very much! All the information is so helpful. The agency I'm working with says its okay if we don't have insurance.

#7 tm501

tm501

• Sr. Site Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Yes I just completed one in 2011 and hopefully will be doing another soon. If you are with an agency they will contact your ob's office and the delivering hospital to set up a cash payment. This way your IP's will have the money put aside already in escrow.

#8 Hollyh1344

Hollyh1344

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

I just googled "surrogacy health insurance" and numerous providers popped up. I didn't look closely at it because I'm just not *there* yet, but it seems readily available. I have my own insurance as well, but it doesn't cover surrogacy.

#9 DragonDad

DragonDad

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Great!

There are usually surrogacy insurance options that will cover surrogacy.
Your attorney should be able to help you or agency if you need assistance.
Additionally, you could consider asking an insurance agent (i.e. the agent that insures your home, car, etc).

:)

Good luck!

Cheers!

#10 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

I just googled "surrogacy health insurance" and numerous providers popped up. I didn't look closely at it because I'm just not *there* yet, but it seems readily available. I have my own insurance as well, but it doesn't cover surrogacy.

A few things you can do now, or when you get closer to *there*

*Call around for insurances online that are usable for your state, and insurance primarily in your state.

*You can ask if the particular policy your interested in covers maturnity, and if there is any other exclusions to be aware of. Don't take their word for it, ask for a copy of the policy. (when I say ask, I might mean demand :P/>/>/>
*Use the actual zipcode you are in, diff Counties/zip codes DO matter when talking to an agent.

*Sometimes they do not want to directly answer maturnity/surrogacy q's, so:
You do not have to give your name, and you can ask as if you want answers for a future 'in case' your family is not complete/what if you were to adopt the child out/what if you were to think of being a surrogate... all in the future of course :)/>/>/>

*One of the important things to ask is if there is a wait time. Meaning some will cover maturnity, but only after you've been on the insurance for a certain amount of time. Some have a diff type of wait time, meaning you must wait the certain time frame before even getting the policy at all.

*Check around for health programs, (no not welfare :P/>/>/>)some states have programs meant to help individuals/families who do not have any insurance, or do not have enough coverage. These are kinda like the programs you'll find at dentist offices... you pay per year (or certain amount of months) for a "plan" that is NOT insurance, but makes the cost lower by a certain percentage.
You may or may not be able to use this for surrogacy, pls check with a lawyer in your state &ask for a copy of the policy.

*Since those "plans" are usually only available per the above statuses, you'll want to make sure to let them know if you have actual insurance coverage, and all the policy details.
**This is also great to use for the IP's paying cash. It will help cut the cost. Note it most likely will not help with IUI/IVF.

*Read over threads in the forum about insurances, you'll find snippets here and there that will give you some ideas. There will be surro's who McPriceyPolicy worked for, and some who hated it, but you'll get a general idea of what insurances might be more friendly per your state. You'll def. find out which ones are hugely expensive- such as L.O.L.

**Also look up complications policies. Especially when IP's are paying cash.

Only other thing I can think of right now is there was a debate whether military insurnace could be used. It's been warned over and over, DON'T USE IT.

Hope it helps, GL to you!!

"You may or may not be able to use this for surrogacy, pls check with a lawyer in your state &ask for a copy of the policy."
Should read "ask for a copy of their plan"

Edited by Dragonfly, 22 March 2013 - 08:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com